Ballast Recommendation for 400w SE MH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lone Wolf

Throwing out a question to get responses from people with experence on this matter. The different MH ballast are confusing to me. I want to run 3-400watt MH on my 180 gal reef tank. Which ballast is the best to use? Electronic, Standard Magnetic or HQI? How about brand? Thanks

Not to make it even more confusing for ya but this also depends alot of what type/brand of SE bulbs you are using too. Most German brand SE bulbs (Radium, Ushio, etc...) cannot be fired on the standard probe start magnetic ballast and would require a pulse start (HQI) or electronic to work.

Might as well invest in an electronic ballast IMO so that you don't have to second guess yourself on this. Electronic ballasts can fire any type of bulbs (probe SE, pulse SE, or HQI/DE). When shopping around for a ballast though, pay close attention to its power factor rating, the higher the better ( you want to come as close to 100% as possible)

HTH

D.

PFO, Ice Cap, reefantic, evc so many to choose from, they all seem to do fairly well. Electronic has come a long way these days, the HQI will drive mh lamps very hard if your going all out sps.

i am running 5 400 watt blueline e ballasts. they work great i am running the blueline 400 watt 14k bulbs. nice blue color.

where did you buy the blueline bulbs from? i have three blueline ballasts 400 watt and am looking for blueline bulbs

Back