Ballast?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mdbv25

I've looked for a definition of this and if it is needed? (I'm sure it is) Can someone explain to me what this is and why it's needed. Why can't you just take the wiring and wire nut it to a ground plug or something and plug it straight inot the wall? Or do you need that square box to turn it inot useable wattage or something? this is definatley a newbie question but I can't find a thread on the way this is suppose to function.

Michael :confused:

It is required. They are quite specific to which type of lighting you will be using, so not just any-old-ballast will do.

As far as their actual electrical function, I think, ballasts both increase voltage and limit current.

In a nut shell...A ballast is basically a power source needed for certain lights like halides etc. and as Brett suggested, they are specific to the type of lighting so you can't mix match. You will sometimes find fixtures with the ballast enclosed inside the fixture which you don't see, but then there are some that are external. Here is a ballast I had to power up (2) 250w MH's

The most important function is the current limiting. Flourescent and MH bulbs operate by creating an electrical discharge through an ionized gas. Electrically, this looks like a short circuit. If you were able to get a bulb to fire without a ballast, you would quickly blow a fuse or melt something.

The ballast also creates initial conditions to start the discharge, along with possible increasing the voltage and changing the frequency for more efficient operation, etc.

Great!

I appreciate the feedback... I was trying to get a feel as to how it coincided with the lights and such.

Michael:)

Electrically, this looks like a short circuit. If you were able to get a bulb to fire without a ballast, you would quickly blow a fuse or melt something.

Ha ha ha ha! Just the other day I was thinking about plugging a MH bulb straight into the wall socket and seeing what happens. Now I am glad I didn't! :)

Back