Bangai Cardinal pair

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Great job on the proven pair Mike!!! Brandy, Benghaii babies live within the spines of Long Spined Urchins in the wild. Parents are known to spit the babies into the urchins. Afterwards, babies better stay in there or become a juicy snack, even for the parents.

Can't wait until our new pair starts spawning, though it'll probably be awhile yet.

Wow, interesting. I was thinking the long spine urchin was used to scare the male into releasing the eggs, lol.

We have two benghaii but I believe that they are the same sex. I wish that there was a better way of telling. They never hang out together so I am assuming they aren't a male/female pair.

when my pair had babies several times last year they never hung out in my two real black urchins. i guess that's why they disappeared within just a few days! lol

Mike - congrats!!!! I can't beleive this is the pair that I passed up on too. I'm kicking myself now- man - how cool.

Hey, keep me in mind if you run out of space. I've got a breeder tank setup that could raise some babies if yours ever got too full.

I may be hitting you up for a match to my lonely bangaii too so keep me on a list if/when they are ready to go to new tanks.

good luck!

Mike - congrats!!!! I can't beleive this is the pair that I passed up on too. I'm kicking myself now- man - how cool.

Hey, keep me in mind if you run out of space. I've got a breeder tank setup that could raise some babies if yours ever got too full.

I may be hitting you up for a match to my lonely bangaii too so keep me on a list if/when they are ready to go to new tanks.

good luck!

LOLOLOLOL Yep these are the ones.
If I get babies to grow, you get the first two on me.

you can make your fake urchin with some cable ties and epoxi
IMG_1144.jpg

btw, check out MOFIB see if that helps
http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=166

Good luck to collect babies.

They will not "stay" within the spines of the urchin and if left in the main tank will become food over the course of a couple days. If you have a tank that you can move them to to grow them up the urchin will act as a comfort zone for the babies. It will help reduce stress. If you can find a live urchin go that route. Much cooler to see them packed around a real urchin.
Good luck

For now, the nano is in a mini-cycle so no fish yet.

If you have a tank that you can move them to to grow them up the urchin will act as a comfort zone for the babies. It will help reduce stress. If you can find a live urchin go that route. Much cooler to see them packed around a real urchin.
Good luck

Agree with all, I bot a 29 gallon bio cube for them and am re-cycling it post heater melt-down before moving the pair into there. Am trying to acquire a real long-spin, but for now having fun making cyborg urchins:)

You've probably seen the post, but there was one for sale in Puyallup.

Nevermind, I see you've sent a PM in that post.

Back