Barebottom for Sps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefboy23

Does anyone think a barebottom tank would have advantages over a tank with sand for Sps. I was thinking of loading the refugium with some sand and rock rubble along with macros but no sand in the display....My tank plans are:

1. 150 gallon acrylic with closed loop/oceans motions 8 way and coast to coast overflow.
2. lumenarc 3s w/400watt halide sun pacific supply bulbs
3. calcium reactor
4. kalk reactor
5.auto top off
6.refugium w/ DSB and rubble w/macros

BB is an excelent choice for a SPS reef if you plan on running a refugium with a sand bed. The advantages to having a "remote sand bed" are great in that you can service the sand bed in a more controlled way. The very best way to setup a refugium in a BB system (or any system IMO) is to plumb it "upstream" from the tank to ensure maximum delivery of microfauna to the display.:D

i would say that BB would be good because you don't have to worry about having sandstorms...sps need alot of flow...with sand in the tank, you will have to adjust the flow around to keep from blowing sand everywhere...i don't think that BB is better for your corals, just easier to maintain

i would say that BB would be good because you don't have to worry about having sandstorms...sps need alot of flow...with sand in the tank, you will have to adjust the flow around to keep from blowing sand everywhere...i don't think that BB is better for your corals, just easier to maintain

That is a big advantage if you ask me.

This is the main reason i wanted to go BB....this way i can up the flow without having a sandstorm in the display...but at the same time i like the look of white sand and the way it reflects the light. I am torn

I keep a shallow sandbed and in the few places where the sand tends to blow I place some rubble to keep it to a minimum. I also like the look of a sandbed.
A friend of mine put in a 4" tall glass wall about 6" back from the front that he filled with sand, that way the tank is bare bottom but from the front looks like it's on a sandbed.

IMO, main advantage of BB is maintenance. They don't look as nice as sand, but eventually the floor will be covered with coraline. An option is to use starboards and glue sand to the top of it, and place it on the bottom of the tank. It's a barebottom, with the look of sand.

Back