becket injector question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CJG

I've got a skimmer with 4 beckett injectors, but only two of them really pull some air in, the other two don't really do anything. You got any idea of what could be going on there or how I could improve them?

Is there cotton balls on the air intake of any of the Becketts? If so, when was the last time you changed them?

Additionally, when was the last time you soaked your beckets in a bucket of vinegar?

Exactly. I found that when you notice the airflow drop it is time to pull them and inspect/clean them. Stuff can get wedged inside and build up over time effecting the performance. TO open them all you need to do is pull the ring off and they will split open down the middle. Pull the ball out and clean them well with diluted vinegar as Curt stated. To clean them right you need to open them up. Don't just toss them in a bucket.

Ya I have taken them apart and cleaned them. Just recently infact becuase I thought that was the problem. It did help, however it didn't solve my problem. When you say cotton balls, do you really mean cotton balls? I've got a sequence power series 8500 on the skimmer. The skimmer is 9 ft tall with an 8" tube. Its a monster, and I've had it running for some time. The thing is, there are two injectors really visible when you look at the skimmer and they do great, its the ones that are kind of in the back that aren't doing what they should. I gotta get some pics up, forgive me, actually I'll do it now.

here are some pics of the injectors that work, and the one that doesn't work at all, and then the one that works a little... Also here are some pics of the skimmer

heres the other pics of the top of the skimmer. I had to cut a hole in the stairs so the skimmer could fit.

Have you cleaned and inspected the pump housing, impellar, and the volute. Maybe it's not pushing as much water due to build up which intern is not sucking the air in the back two becketts.

Have you tried turning the air completely off one or both of the 2 working ones to see if the other 2 suddenly work or if the air input itself is clogged ??

:)

Paul

How can you tell two are not working? are the two the one's in the rear with clear water in them the ones of concern? They look just like mine and it works great. The only way I can tell if there working or not is by looking at the down draft tubes. Yours are not clear like mine so It is hard to tell.
In my opinion the ones with the foam in the injector housing are not seated properly. I would pull the injectors out of those and se if you lost the seal. They should have a O ring on the bottom.
Here is a look at mine. Maybe this will help you some:
Couldn't find a great shot with the O rings. I need to clean mine tomorrow and I'll get better shots for you if you like. here is something though. The Beckett's sit on top of an O ring in the housing. You can also see the Beckett housing is calm and clear of foam:
000_2519_editedMedium.jpg

ya, the ones with the clear water are the ones I'm concerned about. I just assumed that if there isn't a bunch of bubble action, then they weren't working to there full potentail, or something was wrong. I could take them apart and take a look, but I think that plack had a good idea as well. I'll try turning off the two that work great and see what happens from there.

I am not to sure if you understood my post. If there is foam in the Beckett chamber then the seal is missing. That means your not getting the proper pressure down those down drafts. You don't want to see foam in there~

Not enough water flow for 4 becketts, they need like 900 gph+ each, so you need a 3600gph pump to run all 4 of them to their full extent...

Matt

I have been running becketts for many years and it takes 900 gal per hour to just run 1 beckett with a good pump like Iwaki MD55RLT, to run 4 becketts with one pump you will need balance water flow to each beckett which is very hard to do with a very small space because it takes a water flow control for each beckett.

Back