Before I drill, does this internal overflow sound ok?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

winggee

I have a tank move coming up real soon, and i'm trying to get this 55g as prepped as I can. I'm trying to keep this on the low budget side, re-use parts I have laying around, and avoid spending 100+ for a HOB overflow box.

This is the parts I have.
2 65mm drill bits for the glass
2 sided overflow box that was custom made for a 75g. Can't remember dimensions. might of been 6"x6" and height of a 75g

Things I'll need.
1.5" bulkhead (I know this is overkill for a 55g, but i have the bits already.)
piping to build a durso standpipe

My plan is to drill the back left corner towards the bottom about 4-5" from the left side. In case you're wondering about the offset, I want to put a 90 degree elbow on it and use a durso standpipe. I'll then need to cut the overflow box to fit. I'm going to use GE Silicone I to seal the bulkhead and box in.

I'm still un-decided on drilling another hole on the opposite side for the return or just use a over the tank return. I think a over the tank return would save me some money, instead of installing a bulkhead and loclines. Is a over the tank return with a hole drilled in it safer than a bulkhead in terms of back siphoning?

At the moment, I don't have a sump ready for it yet. But I wanted to get the holes drilled first so I can fill the tank. The drain would have a gate valve and be plugged of course.

What do you think? Any tips on it being more simple, faster, better, etc..?

Thanks!

well the way i drilled my overflow bulkhead was at the top left corner and the actually 90degrees elbow i made the top into teeth there was a thread a while back on how a guy did this. So theres only the 90 showing in the tank and i wanted to run a bulkhead for the return but ran out of battery power on the drill ( and the tank was still up and running while i was drilling lol) so i did an over the top and wedge the vinyl tubing between the outlet of my skimmer and the back of the tank and its high enough into the water so when the pump does shut down there is little back siphon. and instead of plugging ur holes(unless u dont already have a pump) then just connect it to a line running over the top or if u made a return bulkhead it would be a mini CL lol.

The pump idea is a good one, I never really considered that option. I have a Velocity/Poseidon T3 pump. At ~5ft head, It's supposed to do about 700gph.

I actually drilled it last night, and turned out ok for my first time. It did chip a little, but nothing major. You're right though, a 1.5" bulkhead is huge for a 55. The 1 1/4" standpipe takes up alot of space, and the overflow box I had for my 75, was just the right size. I just had to trim the height to make it fit in the tank. The box is 6x6", so it's taking up quite a bit of space. I'm gluing in the overflow flow and bulkhead tonight. I Should be ready for the Saturday move.

here's a few pics from last night.

well the 1.5 wouldnt be that bad for the overflow just for the return side of it thats all and looks good too :) but yeah the pump would be fine cause u can also disconnect one end when u get ur sump and all. also i would put a gate valve on the overflow piping going down to the sump/pump it will be good because thats a big overflow and all and u would be able to fine tune it to get the right flow out of it. but looks good for now :) and only if u could get a smaller glass bit to drill for a 3/4 bulkhead

yep same thing and it you usually have to order haha no one near me sells tham lol so i have a gyygrundus ball valve haha its for 2" pipe for my overflow tube haha.

Back