Best Black Silicone for Re-Sealing a Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcvicker

Loony Bin
I woke up this morning to my Solana slowly leaking out a seam. I moved all the livestock and now have a rubbermaid sitting on top of my aquarium stand. I want to cut the panels apart and re-build. I talked to a glass shop and they are going to build a glass pane for the back. Should I just get the generic black aquarium silicone I find online? What is the best stuff to use and where do I get it? I know some people on here have built their own tanks.
thanks,
chris

All so All Glass Aquarium carries a black silicon. IMO I would just cut away the old silicon out without separating the glass. Just cut to the glass and leave the seam in place. Then tape it off and lay in the new bead. If it has separated I usually squish some into the separation, let it dry at least 24 hours, cut out the extra, tape it off and then do the bead and remove the tape. Let dry at least 24 hours. I always try to test fill in a safe location, just in case. Although taping is kind of cheating it makes a nicer line.

Use a razor to cut and scrape away all the exposed RTV but be very careful that you don't gouge the RTV that's joining the panes of glass. Once you've gotten as much RTV off as you can with a razor use some very fine steel wool and acetone to gently scrub the seams. Be certain to wear some acetone safe gloves! After that dries, go over the seams again with a razor blade to remove the remnants. Repeat until the seams are free of old RTV. Mask off your seams with painters tape, apply and smooth the RTV, and pull the tape right away. I wouldn't fill the tank right away. I know that the tubes say 24 hour cure but when I did my 180 I waited 2 weeks on the advice of some other DIY'ers. They also recommended that I raise the humidity in the tank so I filled a bucket with some damp rags, put them in the tank, and covered the top with plastic wrap. My seam job looks great. It's really easy to do but take your time and do it right.

Mike

RTV 103 or 108. It is an actualy silicone adhesive not a sealant. There are several companies that use it to hold things down in wind tunnel tests. Plus it's reef safe.

Back