Best Choice for Aiptasia control

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nudis

Did your nudis harm any other growth in your tank, like zoanthids, zenia, etc? We are starting to see small aiptasia growths on our zoa rock and I want to get rid of it via SW creature as opposed to lemon juice or kaulkwasser. Like most people, we just don't have the time for that kind of maintenance. A nudi would be perfect, as long as it wouldn't harm other creatures in the tank.

The Berghia I recieved from NWInverts (Mark) ate nothing other than Aiptasia. They munched it down pretty good, I doubt there are any Aiptasia left in my tank at all, at least non evident. The sad side is, I think the Nudis fell prey to my closed loop pump. When the lights come on in the morning they are sometimes on the glass. They will crawl for a few minutes then they will let go and float, (hoping to hit a piece of live rock i guess). Free floating in a tank with a closed loop draining that much gph is a dangerous thing and I saw one get sucked into the CL drain one morning. I had seen another one land on the Koralia PH screen and shut the PH off quickly which saved him. I was not willing to kill all flow in my tank for a half hour every morning however, and so I think that eventually they fell prey to powerheads or pumps. I am at work when the lights come on most mornings, and didnt have the time or money to stick all my pumps on timers to turn them off when lights came on. Do other people do this, never seen anyone really talk about stopping flow other than during feeding...

But in answer to your question, yes they ate Aiptasia, no they didnt eat my Zoa or Softies, or anything else. You do have to get the right species of Nudibranch, as different ones eat different things. It is the Berghia ones that eat Aiptasia.

Berghia nudubranchs will eat only aptasias.
When they run out of aptasias, the will nothing else.

Finns answer

Berghia nudubranchs will eat only aptasias.
When they run out of aptasias, the will nothing else.

I love the way Finn gets right to the answer. Short, Sweet, Informative, and to the point. Then on the other hand you have me, ask me whether you should go right or left and 3 paragraphs later you may still not have your answer, lol. I used to have a good friend that would say to me "have the fricking baby" because I have been told tham I may come across as just a tad bit on the long winded side. Moi? nooooooo
Ichthys

I love the way Finn gets right to the answer. Short, Sweet, Informative, and to the point. Then on the other hand you have me, ask me whether you should go right or left and 3 paragraphs later you may still not have your answer, lol. I used to have a good friend that would say to me "have the fricking baby" because I have been told tham I may come across as just a tad bit on the long winded side. Moi? nooooooo
Ichthys

sometimes I'm too short. ( well maybe more often than not)

this time I forgot a critical word and a letter.

When they run out of aptasias, they eat will nothing else.

I know a guy that sells them for $2 an adult. he is very helpful with the aclimation info. ships promptly. if anyone wants his email. shoot me a pm. shipping is like $50 bucks but if you get a group order it wont be as bad.

In my experience the berghia were completely useless. I bought 25 for my 125g tank and they did nothing. Haven't seen one in months, and there are still tons of aptasia.

I'd be interested in doing in splitting up the shipping if anyone wants to go this route. Salty Underground is having a "Buy two, get one free(limit one)" sale.

I have couple dozens berghia available now if anyone is interested.

1/4" to 1/2" size @ $10 each.

They swarm aiptasia and demolish it in minutes. Need at least 3 to do the job in one area. 6 per area is optimal. I'll take photos of these guys wolfing down the aiptasia.

swarm feeding - more like tearing the aiptasia apart.

DSC00467.JPG

They swarm aiptasia and demolish it in minutes. Need at least 3 to do the job in one area. 6 per aiptasia is optimal to circle the wagon.:badgrin:

View attachment 40683

View attachment 40684

swarm feeding - more like tearing the aiptasia apart.

View attachment 40685

They swarm aiptasia and demolish it in minutes. Need at least 3 to do the job in one area. 6 per aiptasia is optimal to circle the wagon.:badgrin:

View attachment 40683

View attachment 40684

Wow! Great picture. I had good luck with peppermint shrimp in the solana but in the reef one or 2 aiptasia pops up here and there. This may be a stupid question but are they easy to catch once they have done their job so you can pass them along?

I have a few for sale - see #30. $10 each.

I think one of the member might be heading to Portland. You might be able to work something out with him. PM if you are interested.

I tried pepprmint s. years ago. they rather eat other stuff better. Just my observation' I dont think they it cleanly. When that happen the aiptasia will spread. I think that is how it started to go wild in my tank. cleaned them out with berghia.

Last edited:
yes that is true . I saw one at 6am once.

Just an observation, this morning, I fed a 1" crown (stinger excluded) aiptasia to the berg. 2 berg started to attack it and the aiptasia stinger took out a couple frillies from the berg. They need help from the rest of the gang - about six or seven pictured (first) above. When they got in the action to hold it down the aiptasia stop stinging and shrink. So you might need 6 for large aiptasia.

Pictures above are 3 different aiptasias with different groups of berg. I'll take more pics.

Last edited:
Maybe Pblutang (Ben) can chime in about his aiptasia infestation and it took berghias 3 months before they start disappearing overnite. Then you can see them once the food source are gone. He caught them once they appear. I got a pair from him a couple of weeks ago.

Now I didn't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if I am saying something that has already been stated:

But go with the nudis...the other livestock will not always eat aiptasia. Plus, once you get a peppermint, it is very likely to go and eat your Berghia should you choose to add them later.

Anyone selling or loaning the Berghia's in Lake County, Illinois area? My 50 gallon reef is getting too many of those pesty anemones. I just picked up 3 peppermint shrimp, but wonder if I will need more things to rid my tank of these annoying anemones?

Back