Best Controllers? Aquadyne?Neptune?DigitalAquatics?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nova68

I am considering a controller for my system (200g tank + 100g). I like idea of controlling heater and chiller from one probe, getting real time info on other tank parameters, and getting an email or text msg if something goes wrong.

Some say Aquadyne's Octopus 4000 is best (their high-end option comes with lab-grade probes) while others say Neptune is best. Another site said Digital Aquatics' Reefkeeper Elite is best.

I care more about quality and performance than cost. Can somebody with controller experience suggest one brand over the other - and provide reasons why?

I think that asking for a favorite controller is close to asking everyone for their favorite brand of salt. Everybody has a favorite they'll defend to the grave.

For me, I use a Reefkeeper Elite on my 125. Is it the best controller on the market? Since I don't have experience with others I can't answer that. What I do know is that it controls everything in my tank, monitors pH, temp, and salinity (salinity probe went south but is under warranty and I'm awaiting replacement), allows me to monitor my tank remotely, is expandable so that you can monitor multiple tanks, and the next software release is supposed to add remote control of the controller via browser interface. Simply put, it works for me and except for the salinity probe issue has been flawless. I also like the fact that I'm supporting a local company. They're just a few minutes down the road from my house.

Mike

Mike,

I didnt realize that the RF Elite had Web Server capibility (meaning the stats in your sig line).

Kirk

Mike or Donna,

Was doing some reading on digitalaquatics Web site and I am not able to determine which package is needed to obtain the stats that is in Mike's signature (which I think is really cool) :)

Can either of you help me please??

Kirk

looks like a call to them tomorrow is in order...will let you know what I found out and post it for those who are interested.

RKM-NET is the module you need, works with both the RKL (mine) or RKE (MCoomer).

I'd definitely double check with DA, but this note from the RKM-NET user manual kind of implies it only works with the Elite:

Firmware Requirment
The NET module requires the ReefKeeper Elite system to be running V1.10 fi rmware or
greater.

Definitely works with the light now since the last firmware update. I am running it on my system.

i will add Digital Aquatics over the phone Customer was very helpfull. i was pleased

I currently run the RKL and the only thing i havent understood is the MCL modual and telling it that it is a lunar light for some reason i m not setting the setting right or some thing because they never turn on. i know it me that is the problem i havent spent much time researching what i am doing wrong

they have a fourms page that you can ask questions and the staff will answer it unless sombody beats them to it.

good luck

Almost forgot that if cost is not an issue then get an Aquadyne. They're more of a lab or marine aquatic centre grade unit versus the hobby units from DA and Neptune.

I'd definitely double check with DA, but this note from the RKM-NET user manual kind of implies it only works with the Elite:

Firmware Requirment
The NET module requires the ReefKeeper Elite system to be running V1.10 fi rmware or
greater.

The NET module will work with the lite controller too. Just need the firmware update from DA and if you ever have any problems they'll update it free of charge. If your close by, like I am, they said to just drop by if I have any issues updating and they would help update all my units.

The NET module will work with the lite controller too. Just need the firmware update from DA and if you ever have any problems they'll update it free of charge. If your close by, like I am, they said to just drop by if I have any issues updating and they would help update all my units.

Good to know...I have two lite units as well as an Elite. The firmware updates are a piece of cake...I've never had an issue.

Does anyone know if the ReefKeepers will ever support controllable pumps like the Tunze's, like the Neptune Apex do?

Good to know...I have two lite units as well as an Elite. The firmware updates are a piece of cake...I've never had an issue.

Does anyone know if the ReefKeepers will ever support controllable pumps like the Tunze's, like the Neptune Apex do?

Yes. I've heard they're (Digital Aquatics) working on this.

Cheers,
Alex

I just got a Neptune Apex, and I think its pretty awesome. Haven't used the others, but researched a lot and decided on the neptune.

Very easy to program, with advanced options to script stuff in. Good forum support (there is a programming forum on reefcentral with tons and tons of information and premade programs to do whatever you want.) Programming is easy and straightforward for the advanced, and the basic programming is all done through drop down menus.

I paid about $500 for mine with a temp, pH probe, 8 programmable and individually controllable outlets.

Neptune is from what I understand, infinately expandable. So you could keep buying outlet strips, and could have it individually controlling 1000+ outlets if you wanted it to. I could see myself at some point adding in another outlet strip.

They are also coming out with a module to control vortech pumps, if you use those.

Anyway, I'm very happy with it, but haven't used anything else to get a good comparison.

rob

I've been in the market for a controller for a while now. After reading your post, I think I'm going for the reefkeeper elite. I too like to support local. 400.00 bucks from marine depot, Is there a cheaper place? How far down the road are they and do they sell to joe shmoe.
Thanks Jacque

Back