best flow pumps with neptune apex controller?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kpiotrowski

Kevin
I've searched a bit and can't find much info on alternative controllable pumps that can be used with the neptune apex. seems vortech is all the rage. anyone using any tunze or other brand of pump....also if I do go with vortech, should I go with 1 mp40 or 2mp10's in my 120p tank ( 4'x2'). it (mp40) or they ( mp10's) would be going on the back wall as I do not want any stuck on the other 3 veiwing sides.

tia!

two mp40s is what you want the 10s won't enough on yuor tank size

+1

if you wanted to start small you can do 1 mp40 and then add a second when funds allow.

Here you can see my vortechs being controlled on the 120g

Page not found « ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium LightingRick

I should clarify that I flow about 700gph thru dual 3/4 lock line and plan to still keep a1200 maxi mod flow pump that by itself reaches the full tank. right now with what I have already mentioned...and 2 maxi1200 in power head mode I already have some turbulent patterns. I am looking to use the apex to program more random flow patterns is where I was questioning if I trade maxi 1200's for mp10's....or one mp40. the dual 10's could be placed in a "left/right" pattern on back wall, or 1 mp40 on only one wall. so I guess my question is which of these two options will provide the most natural current. I am seeing more and more people that prefer the tunze with apex over the vortech with noise and reliabilty being the issue.

to get any decent effect with the MP10s you would have to run them at 100% which increases the noise level.

The mp40w is the way to go in your situation with that tank.

I'm using some tunze and love them. I have an apex, but I am just using the tunze controller for the powerheads (was included with the used tunze I got.)

Could be something for the apex to control the new DC korelias, but I'm not sure.

yeh that price on the korelias is intriguing. could get 3 8's good for up to 3500gph for the price of one mp40. I'm gonna have to do some reviewing...or perhaps just pull the trigger and buy them and see how the turn out.

you can get 3 for $153 each from brs. anyone want one if I buy 3?

when I got my powerheads I was debating between tunze and vortechs. Ended up going with tunze as I got a really good deal on a set of them used. Very happy with the choice.

Korelias were just coming out at that point, and didn't have too much info on them yet. Definately worth looking into though. A lot cheaper if they work decently.

As a reference I have 2 10's and a 40 on my 72 bowfront, the 40 on the left and the 2 10's on the right. From what I hear the comparisons have it that the tunze's are a bit more focused than the vortechs, and the vortechs are under rated GPH wise, AA had a big write up about them. I love my V's they do cost a pretty penny but I am more than satisfied. They have some great programs that the Apex can easily control, plus no nasty wires running over the top.

Also if you have any of them on the back wall you'll likely blow all the sand off the front of your glass, at least the Tunze's let you direct the flow once in the tank vs the V's which is straight.

The controllable Koralias are definitely the best bang for the buck. The Vortechs put out nice flow for sure but with their price tag and the expected on going maintenance cost, I'm not impressed.

Once I converted to Vortec I can easily say I wouldn't go back to Koralia even for the smaller price tag.

re: OP - I'd grab a single MP40 now, get used to it (get wireless) and then add another MP40 down the road. I'm confident you won't regret it. I'm running a single Mp10 in my 34g and wish I had gone with MP40 because I'm running it mostly at 80% or more which does push the limits for my sound toleration.

As a reference I have 2 10's and a 40 on my 72 bowfront, the 40 on the left and the 2 10's on the right. From what I hear the comparisons have it that the tunze's are a bit more focused than the vortechs, and the vortechs are under rated GPH wise, AA had a big write up about them. I love my V's they do cost a pretty penny but I am more than satisfied. They have some great programs that the Apex can easily control, plus no nasty wires running over the top.

Also if you have any of them on the back wall you'll likely blow all the sand off the front of your glass, at least the Tunze's let you direct the flow once in the tank vs the V's which is straight.

here is that AA article for reference on measured VS advertised flow rates - Feature Article: Experimental Comparison of Measured Flow Output of Aquarium Propeller Pumps — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Honestly though - vortechs come with a controller - so since you are asking for pumps that are the best to use with an Apex, i'd say something else. The reason why the vortechs cost what they do partially because they have their own built in controllers (IMO)

Great read! Goes to show it pays to do some research before purchasing major items.

I'm still lost though, lol. prob go with an mp40 in combo with some power head untill I can get another.

You can watch the classifieds. The high end pumps are well built and repairable, so may be worth while to get some used ones, as it will be a lot easier on your pocket book.

I bought my Tunze used. 2 large controllable powerheads, a small controllable, 3 that are not controllable and a controller to run everything for $250. Can't beat that. Had to replace one of the controller power supplies (~$30) but now I have insane flow for a pretty cheap price.

rob

Back