Best food there is bar none.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

Now I know that I have always said that the best all around food for our animals is whole fish followed by blackworms, but I lied. :(
Live blackworms is actually the third best food.

The absolute best food for our animals, bar none, not even if you go to Mars is Salmon eggs.
Salmon happens to be one of the healthiest foods we as humans can eat because of the Omega 3 oils and other essential fish oils,
But an exceptionally large percentage of that oil is in their eggs.
Yes Salmon Cavior is relatively cheap (as far as fish food goes) and available in Asian markets. It is sold fresh so I don't know if you could get it in the mid west. If anyone lives in the mid west, let me know if you can get it there.
It sells here in NY for almost $40.00 a pound which sounds expensive but it is only about a quarter of what frozen mysis sells for. I just bought 4 ounces for under $10.00 which will last me months.
Each fish only needs one egg which are about a quarter inch across and brimming with salt water fish oil.
My bubble corals, cup corals and any other coral with a mouth just gobbled them up. My bangai cardinal ate four of them and can't hardly close his mouth. They must be target fed.
The large hermit crab attempted to tear the bubble apart in an attempt to steal an egg but I am a little bigger than him and I wrestled it away from him. He was sulking in a corner so I gave him his own salmon egg.
These can only last in the refrigerator maybe two days and must be frozen. I put them in those little plastic trays that mysis come in after they are empty and freeze them.
Asian markets also sell a much smaller fish egg for half that price so depending on the size of your fish you can custom feed these things. I only give this to them a couple of times a week as I do blackworms because they are very rich.
They are even better than worms because besides the oil they supply calcium and every other thing a fish would need. After all, a salmon egg is essentially a compressed Salmon.

:D
tank007-1.jpg

PaulB this sound wonderful as I have not really found a fish food that is exactly what I want. I don't have much of a filtering system so many of the homemade recipes out there end up with some uneaten parts falling to the sandbed and adding to my nutrient problem. The only thing I am mostly happy about feeding is high quality dried seaweed.
I have an Asian market just up the road and I am going to check it out. I would like to see Leebca weigh in on this too.

Thank you for your suggestion!

Damsel, feed these things with a baster and don't let them rot in there. They are just a suppliment, and try to get fresh eggs, not canned, dyed or in any kind of sauce. Asian markets sell them right from the fish

[QUOTEcan you feed them actuall salmon rather then the eggs? QUOTE]
You can feed your fish any type of saltwater fish but the essential oil is i the fishes liver or in it's eggs.
Again fish eggs should not be a staple food, they are much too rich.
It will also make your skimmer overflow so you will have to watch it.

I throw away pounds of salmon eggs every year. Speaking of salmon the season is right around the corner WOO HOO!!!!!!! I will keep some this time around and feed to my fish aand corals.

Just don't go crazy with these, just a little a couple of times a week and watch your skimmer

No problem bro. Like I said I throw away pounds every year. You should come on a fishing trip with me. You will need waders!

it may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I read somewhere in this thread you can feed your fish any type of saltwater fish but the oiul is in the liver and eggs.

Salmon head up rivers, creeks and streams to spawn. Would that effect the egg in some way negative by feeding it to a saltwater animal??

it may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I read somewhere in this thread you can feed your fish any type of saltwater fish but the oiul is in the liver and eggs.

Salmon head up rivers, creeks and streams to spawn. Would that effect the egg in some way negative by feeding it to a saltwater animal??

Salmon swim up river to spawn but are saltwater fish. I don't think it would effect them at all but I'm no scientist.:)

Salmon eggs are also great to add to food mixes that a lot of hobbyists prepare themselves. I used to use them in my discus mix and it was always guaranteed to add bulk to the fish and make it a favorite for the fish.

Might be time to put an ad on craigslist for salmon fishermen to save eggs and I'll buy them ;).

Barbie

No, Salmon are a saltwater fish, they just go to freshwater to spawn

i found some at whole foods but the ingredients say salmon roe and salt. is this a no-no? it is saltwater fish no? lol

would steel head eggs have the same effect as salmon? if there caught early enough they have smaller egss in the egg sack and i fish for them all the time.

Aren't steelhead catfish? Freshwater catfish?
I think salted eggs would be OK but whatever eggs you use, rinse them well before you put them in your tank. Or your skimmer will overflow. Whatever the eggs are floating in is not compatable with skimmers

Back