Best K-rating for macroalgae?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

John Henry

Hi folks,

Just wondering what people consider to be a good Kelvin range for refugium bulbs.

I just got an amazing deal on a 500w floodlight at B&Q, about US$3! The bulb is very yellow, the employee there thought it was probably around 2500K.

Any thoughts on this? Probably too yellow, no? I have chaeto in my refugium.

Thanks a bunch,
Jh

Hey John,
4500 -6500 K are good for algae growth and are the common bulbs you will find at home depot.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

That's about the range I remembered hearing.

But, I think I'll try using this floodlight anyway, as it's super-bright. Anyone know what the K rating of an average (if there is such a thing) 500w floodlight would be? The light is very yellow.

Thanks!

I had my cheato totally crash and turn clear under "daylight" spectrum 6500k bulbs.

After switching to 2700k, my growth at least trippled if not more. As a side note, I am useing the fuge right now to grow out monti cap frags, xenia frags, many differnt zoo frags, and some pocilipora. They are just under 2700k home depot 23watt compact florecent spotlights (6 of them).

Everything is holding its color and growing rapidly, espically the xenia, its just going nuts down there.

I'm currently, and have been using 6700Kelvin 55W PC bulb to reverse light the sump/fuge.

Chaeto and caulerpa have grown well.

Best,
Ilham

Thanks for the input everyone.

Liveforphysics: That's very interesting. I've had my chaeto under two 50W 6500k bulbs for about two months now, and have not seen much growth. I'm hoping this new spotlight, as bright as it is, will give faster growth. Time will tell...

That 500watt incandecent is going to be putting off boat loads of inferred and thermal radiation into the fuge, be sure to carefullly moniter your temp of your water.

You should also keep in mind that that 500watt spotlight will be adding less light that 100watts of compact florecent.

John Henery- My boss lives in tiawian and flys back and forth about every 2-3 weeks. If you find something here you cant source in tiawian, let me know and I could try to have him bring it with him.

Thanks LFP!

I noticed right away that this 500w is bright as the sun, and seems about ten times as hot...as the sun.

Luckily I have tons of room in my sump area, so the floodlight is now about 2.5 feet above the surface of the refugium. No problems with heat yet, but I think it will be a different story when summer rolls around.

(And thank you very, very much for your kind offer. I'll be heading to the states at the end of the month, as I usually go back once or twice a year to see family. But I may be in touch in the future if the need arises. I can offer the same service to you, if there's anything from Taiwan you'd like. Unfortuantely though, the best deals here are all for live items.)

Take Care,
Jh

Back