Best local shop for Schedule 80 fittings/pipe

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcoomer

Who's your daddy?!?
I'm trying to plan the plumbing for the tank I'm building but I'm getting frustrated trying to makes heads or tails of online pics and drawings. Any local shops that carry a good selection of bulkheads, fittings, and pipe?

To give an idea of what I'm looking to do, tank is drilled with a 2.5" hole that I'm going to use for the return plumbing. Pump will either be Reeflo Barracuda or Dart. Barracuda is 1.5" NPT in and out, while a Dart is 1.5" in and 2.0" out. I want to use 2.0" pipe on the outlet to reduce friction loss. Doing that I think I can run the Dart wide open and get just under 2000GPH or valve the Barracuda outlet back until I'm happy with the flow.

For the drains, I'm going to run three through three 1.75" holes that are drilled in the tank. I want to setup a Bean Animal overflow system so I'll need three 1.0" bulkheads, bushings to increase pipe to 1.5", and all the fittings, elbows, and valves.

So, if you know if a shop that offers a good variety of PVC pipe and fittings I wouldn't mind hearing from you.

Thanks,
Mike

McLendons Hardware carries the schedule 80 bulkheads, they have a lot of fitting you will not find at other hardware stores, but mostly schedule 40 on the fittings.

I have spare 1.5 sche 80 I bought the wrong ones when I went there one day and too lazy to bring them back. the dart also has a 2 inch inlet and 1.5 outlet you have it backwards I run a dart for a closed loop going out of 5 x 1" outlets and had to reduce one to a 3/4 to get the extra flow to the sea swirl. because of the hieght. mclendons has them all but pricey also BRS has them for about 5-10 bucks less

I ordered my bulkheads and ball valves from BRS this morning and I think I've settled on the Barracuda as the return pump. I'll pick up the pipe, elbows, tees, etc for the overflows locally. As it happens, I believe I saw a Cuda for sale in the sale forum so away we go...

Lowes on rainier has a decent selection, but mostly for 1", maybe some for 1.5". Sounds like you might have to order online.

I have a heavy duty 1.5" bulkhead that I'd love to sell you. I ordered it because I was originally going to do 1.5", but then decided on 1". Now its sitting in a box. Its the heavy duty one from marine depot. If you want it, I'll ship it to you or we can arrange a hand off...

I have a heavy duty 1.5" bulkhead that I'd love to sell you. I ordered it because I was originally going to do 1.5", but then decided on 1". Now its sitting in a box. Its the heavy duty one from marine depot. If you want it, I'll ship it to you or we can arrange a hand off...

I put in a big order with BRS this morning so I think I'm good but I usually end up leaving something out and having to make 15-20 trips to the store. If the need arises I'll buy it from you. Would be cheaper than placing another order.

Mike

I found that BRS has great prices on bulkheads, true ball valves and a few other misc items but Lowes was considerably lower price on a lot of the common fittings and pipe. The Lowes here in Puyallup carries a decent selection but I don't know if all the stores carry the same items. Then again I was only dealing with 3/4" mainly and some 1" stuff. Home Depot here carries nothing and McLendons only has bulkheads but no fittings or pipe. I hope this helps someone avoid all the running around I have had to do to figure all this out.

Eric

Back