Best way to do a 90% water change?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The sand is like powder! I hate it! Flys everyware. Maybe i will just go bare bottom for now.

Darn Ph i have been fighting with it for a while now. Tank is at 8.1 and WC water is at 8.3. I need to go re-read about ph.

I know its not bad, but how do i get the clean waters ph to go down to match the DT? Thats my issue. lol

Thanks you have been helpful!

The aragonite sand will make a HUGE white cloudy mess in the tank! We have it in both of our tanks, and it takes about 3-4 days to settle down, even if you rinse it REALLY good first. And it will coat everything in the tank in a white film that you have to clean off. I thought you put that new sand in not too long ago cuz I remember your thread about it, and then when you were selling the substrate out of it.

I thought we were putting up the big tank so i didnt bother getting new sand just took out the old and sold that and what i had left over from when i first baught it. There is still some of it in the tank, just what i couldnt get out at the time.

Maybe i will get another container and let the sand settle for a couple days and then put it into the tank?

The problem is with the aragonite in there, every time it gets stirred up it makes a big white cloud. So just putting it into the tank creates the mess, whether it sits, or whether there is water in the tank or not. You can't even see through the water for a day or two. It's nuts!

I dunno girl, I might just do some like 30% water changes every other day for a wewk or two, and see what happens. We had a hair outbreak thatwe got under control by pulling out a couple rocks at each water change and picking off a bunch. Also, make sure you blow any detritus of off the rocks. I was AMAZED at what a difference that made. Our 2yr old dumped a whole flippin can of flake food into our sps tank, so we're starting to battle the green hair AGAIN! Arrrggh!! So I feel for you! I know you said you don't have your messy tang anymore, so does that mean you're not feeding the tank as much? I bet if you just stick with it a bit, you'll get it turned around. Just remember everyhting happens slowly!!

Well maybe the corals and fish can stay in one of the tubs for a day or two till it settles. I have two ten gallong containers, the fish and corals will be in one i can put the other in the DT after im done cleaning and then in a day or two i can add the corals/fish and the water they are in.

Will the white cloud harm corals i am guesing so but might as well ask.

I didnt see your reply befor i posted mine.

Im still trying to figure out what to do hence me posting needed input from others befor i decide.

Good thing is i already have 20 gallons of saltwater made!

I dunno girl, I might just do some like 30% water changes every other day for a wewk or two, and see what happens. We had a hair outbreak thatwe got under control by pulling out a couple rocks at each water change and picking off a bunch. Also, make sure you blow any detritus of off the rocks. I was AMAZED at what a difference that made. Our 2yr old dumped a whole flippin can of flake food into our sps tank, so we're starting to battle the green hair AGAIN! Arrrggh!! So I feel for you! I know you said you don't have your messy tang anymore, so does that mean you're not feeding the tank as much? I bet if you just stick with it a bit, you'll get it turned around. Just remember everyhting happens slowly!!

Ive done 100+% on a 30 at times,

not the best practice but if you can do it right its not that hard,

Temp and salinity are so so important when doing this

Back