Bidding war

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

As much as this is reef related, I figured it'd be best put in this forum. WWC (WorldWideCorals) finally released a small frag of their "My Miami" chalice, on Ebay. The bidding war is HUGE and is mostly being played out between 2 members of another popular reef forum. Here's a link to the actual auction...and then a link to the forum thread, discussing the auction, including the 2 members who are at war for this piece...lol. May the man with the deepest pockets win...lol. Be amused.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270469216192

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f168/my-miami-chalice-ebay-29968.html

I will say that this has been a very "sought after" coral, for a couple of years now, while awaiting it's "release." WWC spent a good year, and A LOT of money to even get the original frag they got. Looks like it was a good investment for them!! I believe they spent about $1500.00 for a 2 eye frag, originally.

I just can't believe the pics they show of that thing. Any time I see purple sand / egg crate I get suspicious. Still, even if it's close to the photo appearance it looks pretty nice. Still, like a gem tang, not something I'd spend thousands of dollars on :)

All I have to say is J. Fox and WWC is driven by greed!! That freaking chalice was a free hitch hiker. I love how J. Fox claims that he is a serious and committed hobbiest so it grants him rights to rape oops I mean over charge fellow hobbiest. They keep on using that excuse to validate the price of J. fox's corals. Hell if that is the case then the majority of us that are serious and committed to the hobby is way under priceing our corals since we are all slaves to our aquaria. The guy is a joke! JMHO.

Roscoe, that's an interesting take, that I'd not heard before. I was under the impression that WWC spent a lot of time, and quite a bit of money, to obtain the original 2 eyed frag. Seems I even read something about it, about a year ago, in a coral magazine. Am I confusing it with another coral?

On R2R, which I consider a pretty reputable forum, there's quite a conversation going on about this piece. Most people involved in that conversation, including the owner of R2R seem to respect WWC and respect the sale that's going on.

I'd be pretty interested to hear and read about the "darker" side of all of this...lol.

originally posted by jfox
alright you guys! Here is the real story on the my maimi! At the end of '07 i acquired it as a hitch hiker on a wild colony. It started growing out as a incredible chalice. A few months later i was so excited and sent the pic to a couple collectors. Victor is one of the people that i sent the pic to. I told him the price. He said he will take it. I sold victor frag number one for $1500. Jose frag number 2 and stacy frag number 3. I did not start out with a wild colony. This is a crazy chalice and it is very limited. This is a completely captive grown coral. See you at macna!!!

wow amazing and what luck greedy people!

James, where did you find that? I'd be interested in reading the entire story.

So it was an ingenious marketing program. About 2 years ago, the marketing started. Soon afterwards, there were a total of 4 owners. Now one of those owners has allowed it to grow out and has fragged and is selling. The bidding started at $1.00. How is it the seller's fault that the bidding is now close to 2K? To me, this is a result of smart marketing, not absolute greed. The buyers sets the price, not the seller.

Last edited:
I dont care how much I want a coral or how colorful it is I will never spend that much on one single one. I think they are on crack for bidding that much.

Mike have you read all the Miami thread on all the major forums? Yes WWC bought a 2 eyed frag of it from Jason for $1500 and yes only 4 people total has it. What bothers me is that in most of the threads they want to justify the price by saying the he is such a serious collecter and has a "TRUE" passion and dediction to the hobby. C'mon is he serious? That is a slap in the face to the rest of us in the hobby isn't it? The rest of us don't?

That is just stupidity.....at least buy some expensive whiskey and a bigger TV....or a 1x1 frag....DUH!!!

That is an awesome chalice. No way that I could afford to buy something like that, that is crazy. But I don't think that it is anyway the owners fault for the coral being so expensive. He is not FORCING anyone to bid on it. THere are alot of corals that are extremely expensive for what you are getting but in no way is that the owners fault.

Back