Blue Hippo tang with HLLE

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Faciosity

reefer
Pretty sure my tang has HLLE:doh:, and I'm not sure what to do about it. She has blotchy spots on her side and belly that are slightly pitted. She has shown minor symptoms like this before, and I thought it was just poor nutrition. I gave her some algae to graze on, and it went away. Now it returned pretty much overnight. She looked fine yesterday, but when I got up the blotchy spots had returned. I've tried to read up on the disease, but most of the information is just speculation, with no definate answers.

How Harmful is it, and what should I do? Will it affect my other fish as well?

DSCN4948.jpg

Found another photo, of the same fish, taken about 3 months ago. I don't see any signs of HLLE, but the fish definitely is thin. I'd suggest providing the tang with a constant supply of algae to eat, all day. Algae sheets, on a magnetic clip, works very well. You can also rubberband algae to a piece of rock.

5169744989_3a0edb6174_b.jpg

Found another photo, of the same fish, taken about 3 months ago. I don't see any signs of HLLE, but the fish definitely is thin. I'd suggest providing the tang with a constant supply of algae to eat, all day. Algae sheets, on a magnetic clip, works very well. You can also rubberband algae to a piece of rock.

Thanks Michael. I had tons of algae in my tank when that fish was introduced, but the tangs made quick work of removing it. I have been trying to give all my tangs a variety of live algae from out of my sump, but I do need to pick up a clip and some sheets. The tang is still eating and acting perfectly normal, but looks pretty bad, so I'm a little worried. I've had great water quality lately, other than my salinity got a little higher than normal recently which could have caused stress. Hopefully with some care and patience she will improve.

Buy some Selcon or other brand HUFA suppliment and soak all food with it. Ensure water is always very clean. If youy maintain both, will greatly speed recovery.

Ben, I would go get some of the Red algae and a clip from somewhere. Put it in every morning and you will have that tang fat, healthy, and happy in no time. This way it has nom noms to graze on all day in addition to your normal feedings it gets.

Also one quick note, sometimes Tang's will get "marked" up from sleeping. They wedge themselves into rocks at night to sleep. This keeps them from drifting off and safer from predators. I did not really notice anything when I was over picking up those fine corals from you. I could stop by later on and check it for you if you like. You have my number or shoot me back a email and I will check after I pick up my Wife from work.

I believe, the 2 main contributors to HLLE are lack of vegetation in diet and stray voltage, in the water column. Might wanna get in touch with Joanne, to get that tester she was using, at your house meeting. See if you can test your water for stray voltage. Lots of algae! Tangs really need to be able to graze on algae, all day long, as apposed to a couple or 3 times daily.

However, again, I'm not sure I'm seeing any signs of HLLE, just a fish not receiving enough nutrition Hopefully Les can chime in soon, with more advice!

Well, I guess I just need to work harder at keeping algae in the tank for grazing. Soon as my girlfriend brings the car home, I will try to go get some sheets.
Stray voltage shouldn't be an issue I hope. When We had the meeting over here we tested it, and Joanne says it was almost nothing, and much lower than other tanks she has tested. I havn't changed any electrical equipment since then.

Stray voltage as an unproven theory that might or might not contribute, whereas poor water and poor diet are confirmed causes.
Good quantities of fatty acids and vitamins speeds recovery. I maintained a photo journal of a VERY bad case of HILLE on a purple tang I rescued. It was literally eaten alive. Was amazing to follow the progression. When was finished, you could not even tell it ever had it.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't think any of those pics depict HLLE. If you look very closely you can see the very faint lateral line along the bottom edge of the upper black stripe. HLLE generally begins at the front of the lateral line just behind the eyes and moves to the rear of the fish. Not sure what the dark areas are but as Mike suggested I'd get some Selcon and starting soaking nori sheets with it. I'd also look to add some more variety to the food that you're feeding and dial up your water changes.

Mike

In order of what I think is most likely:
Vitamin deficiency (A and/or C); Poor Nutrition; see this reference:
Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition
Chronic Stress
Poor water quality (including high levels of dissolved organic matter and/or nitrate)
Activated carbon (either removing something the fish need or the dust clogging the pores on the fish)
Retrovirus
Hexamita
Amyloodinium-like dinoflagallate
Stray Voltage (is your system grounded properly?) [the article below disagrees with this one]

An article on the subject:
Marine Head & Lateral Line Erosion: A Description of the Syndrome and a Review of its Speculated Causes by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

In my experience, most of the time it is a nutrition issue either with or without a water quality matter. The hobbyist needs to use a vitamin AND a fat supplement. Use an immune booster too: Immune Boosters. Also the hobbyist must review the diet and feed the right foods in the right quantity. Lastly, watch water quality closely. Start with a huge water change (over 80%) following these guidelines: How to Make a Successful Water Change

Algae in the tank is no more nutritious than the nutrients in the tank. To be blunt, the nutrients in our home marine aquarium systems are NOT the same nutrients found in oceans and seas. Thus, the nutritious value of home grown algae is limited.

Obtain ocean macro algae and feed it properly. Most hobbyists don't understand just how much of this the Tangs eat. Feed it like is recommended here:
How to Feed Macro Algae to Marine Fishes

The condition should improve and eventually the fish will cure itself if you will help it as noted above.
:)

I have been giving my tank marine algae sheets enhanced with vitamin C, and my hippo is back to her normal brilliant colors. Thanks for all the help and advice!

Awesome news Ben!! I have been soaking algae sheets in vitamins lately aswell to make sure my new tang gets off to a good start. Gonna try making my own food next to make sure all the fish are getting what they need all the time.

Back