Blue Jaw TriggerFish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

Does anyone have experience with these guys. Will they leave the shrimp and crabs and what not alone?

Will he be happy in a 72 gallon?

Until my Co2 regulator malfunctioned and killed them, I had a pair in my 200. They're awesome fish!! They never bothered any of my snails, Emerald Crabs or shrimp.

Until they get their 1st taste of corals LOL. I had a Majestic Angel that was a model resident until one day it decided to have a taste of my favia and lobos!

They should be good. If you are going with a male female pair you might want to have them be the only larger fish in you're tank. Some of my smaller fish were scared of my sargassum when I added him, but he has never chased a single fish and eventually they all warmed up to him.

Last edited:
I had a male in my 75g and he left all my shrimp and crab alone. He was like a puppy dog who got all excited when it was feeding time.

You guys are brave. After the incident with the Angel. No more potential nippers in my system.
I would agree with this about most of the angels and the like, but all the Xanthicthys triggerfish are planktivores and have a completely differently shaped jaw then their trigger brothers and are not adapted for taking chomps out of corals. Its like the how all the Genicanthus angels and the pyramid butterflys are also considered reef safe.

I agree with Tagpol when my Blue jaw bit me, it felt like a little tickle. When my old humu trigger bit me, I yelled out every curse word in the world.

Haha I had a trgger bite me one time and laughed so hard to cover up for the pain the LSB can make.

I do have one in my tank for like 6 months now.. MODLE fish..
No issues..
with clam
Shrimps (4 different types)
Corals no problems.
He actually is the first one in a fish trap whenm I try to catch another fish
He eats out of my hand.

BEN (class clown ) had one in his FULL BIG SPS tank with no problems either.

No triggers are totally reef safe. It doesn't take much to tear flesh off of corals. Also too I met a couple in Seattle about 5 years ago that had a beatiful pair of crosshatch triggers although they didn't eat the corals they did do some damage. Enough damage for the couple to tear down thier tank to catch them.

No triggers are totally reef safe. It doesn't take much to tear flesh off of corals. Also too I met a couple in Seattle about 5 years ago that had a beatiful pair of crosshatch triggers although they didn't eat the corals they did do some damage. Enough damage for the couple to tear down thier tank to catch them.

I think a lot of it has to do with how you feed the fish aswell. I have had a huma, niger, pink tail (8+"), and currently a white tail trigger with no problems except for the occasional snail addition with the white tail. But I do try to keep nori available 24/7...

I will agree though, that you never know how a fish is going to act till it is in your system.

I hear ya Augustus. Feeding is really important. Trust me my fish eats better than me! The danm Angel still wanted something else to pick on. As fish get older and bigger thier attitude changes. I've learned my lesson from this angel and when you have prized corals in your tank it isn't worth the risk. There are plenty other truely totally reef safe fish and no trigger is "totally" reef safe as Mike mentioned. When they start eating or aggessively picking into his prized corals he will be singing a different tune.:)

There are plenty other truely totally reef safe fish and no trigger is "totally" reef safe as Mike mentioned. When they start eating or aggessively picking into his prized corals he will be singing a different tune.:)

As I mentioned above, unfortunately, I no longer have mine. However, I stand by my claim that Blue Jaw Triggers are among the most reef safe of all Triggers. They aren't even a "carnivore," as most other Triggers. They, along with the rest of the Xanthichthys, are planktivores.

That being said, along with the Blue Jaw Triggers, I also had a Lavender Tang, which most would also consider totally reef safe. It developed a taste for Acans and ate several colonies, before I was able to catch and remove it.

Back