BM250 vs MSX250 or 300

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I just ordered the MSX250 today for my 180g and all I have heard is good. The build is said to not be quite as strong but I don't think I'm going to be throwing the skimmer around. The pumps are the same as the BM250. The price is what did it for me. Still not cheap, but also not 800 bucks. Good luck making a choice!

I believe the 250 is something like 16" x 16" and the 300 is 13" x 17". I'm looking at buying one of them as well. I was intially looking at the BM too, but that price is a little too steep for me.

thanks for the info,,i used msx160 right now and work good for me,,,yeah the price of msx300 is not too bad at all compare with the other that can do same performance.

Send skimmerwhispher a Pm, He gets his hands on lots of equipment & can tell you which works best for your needs.

the extreme 250/300 is actually a better design than the more expensive ATI skimmers with the same sicce psk2500 pumps...
the bubbleplate is more like a BK style plate that decreases more turbulence than the ATI version, and it's removable, which the ATI does not have a removabler bubble plate, and it's a nightmare to clean underneath there...
the build quality is virtually identical, but the chinese probably use a recyled acrylic over new german acrylic sheets/tubes. but unless your planning on playing soccer with one, it shouldnt be a big deal.

i have an msx300 among other skimmers and I am real happy with it. it skims wet very well.

msx300,,,any problem with the restart after the pump turn off at all?

Considering that it has the same motors as the BM250 I would be suprised if it DIDNT have restart issues. If you get one come over to my house and Ill give you a lesson on pump Ins and Outs.

I don't have any restart issues with my sicce pumps after I trimmed the mesh a tiny bit.
By that I mean any stray pieces of mesh sticking out from the main part and trimming about a 1/16" off the whole area.
Using a dwyer (loaned) air meter I didn't lose any air draw and both pumps have started everytime without any problem.
There is a pinwheel attachment (C&C Marine) you can use to replace the meshmod.

Last edited:
Finn,,that very nice info,,,,,
Trido i will have to stop by your house soon to see the and learn the trick,,thanks all you guy,i think i,m going with msx300:)

You'll only have startup if you use the mesh. I've tested both PW's, the swc (msx) and CNC. I've also tested all the reducers out there for the sicce as well. The orca, msx, cnc. All but the coralvue, which is pulling 13-17scfh so far from what ive read. Here's what my findings are so far with the PW and MW. The MW did not start on its own as it needs to be started by blowing in the venturi tube. I like the msx and octo extreme's but in order for them to really kick some butt they need the meshmod imo. Except for the 160's as they are perfect with 30scfh. I have done so much testing with these skimmers it is sick. The 250's and 300 are pretty much going to give you the same results as its not going to help much to have a larger reaction chamber with the same amt of air and flow in it. They are also very easy skimmers to recirc as well. And if you want to run it external a simple cooling loop will allow you to do this as well. If you don't have a cooling loop, they will burn up externally. All test's were measured using a RMC dwyer meter as well as a RMA. #'s were dead on with each meter.

SicceResults8-8-08.gif

thank you for all the info,,bt 250msx- and 300msx,,10" and 12" tube size same hight ,same 2-pump,,cost almost 100$ more for 300msx,,,performance wise,help me out here Luke33

Easy, the msx250. Out of those three. You could use an 8" diameter with the two pumps and get the same performance with a 5.5" diameter neck. I would suggest tanking the extra hundred you save and buying the neck extension though : ) As it really helps out with adjusting.

great thread... altho im not gonna get one... seems like some good work guys....

Back