BM250 vs MSX250 or 300

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I just ordered online and I forgot to add the pinwheel impellers for the mesh mod so I emailed Rob right after my order and he wrote back to me within 10 minutes telling me it was not a problem. I had no problems what so ever. When I received it today they even gave me the mesh, zip ties and 2 pinwheel impellers at no extra charge. Are you having troubles ordering it over their website?
,,they 're not reponse yet,,so i 'm still waiting,,do you have to pay for your shipping?free shipping?:D

So I got the skimmer on tuesday and man this thing rocks. Here are some pics of what it's done just over night in 8 hrs, after a water change for that matter.

skim3.jpg

skim2.jpg

skim1.jpg

My only suggestion to those that are going to be purchasing this skimmer is make sure that you have a float or ATO set up to keep the water level the same in your sump because the change has an effect on the skimmer.

Sure, thats with any in sump skimmer. Water level consistency is critical to performance. If it fluctuates at all your going to get frustrated and have a finicky skimmer.

Well I finally got my pump to start on it's own with the meshwheel using fishing line and 4 layers of flatback.

Last edited:
If you put to much mesh on there like 4 layers your going to eventually heat up the magnet impeller and cause it to swell. This will ruin your pump. So if your pump stops randomly every few days or so, this would be the problem, or if your pump feels warm. I'd suggest after running it like that for a week or so, pull it off and feel your impeller. If it feels pretty hot, your in for a burnt up pump. If not hot and no stops.....rock on!

The skimmer should have three layers of mesh on it already. I wouldnt suggest more than 3 for that reason.

Well, I have the 250 on my 180g and it's doing great so far so, I'm just going to let it be for the time being. Thanks Luke!

I'll tell you this much about the MSX skimmers. Just hope you get yours without any problems. In the equipment forum I had done some posting on this thread and I had sent my pump, bubble plate, and silencer out in May, 3 months later I should have them back tomorrow. (Just tracked the package.) They do have good customer service however that is only if you can reach them. In that time frame I must have made about 25 calls, only getting a hold of them 1 time. I just hope the skimmer works as advertised on this forum.

I still have to repair the socket my sicce pump fried.

"I still have to repair the socket my sicce pump fried."

Don't you have a ground fault interrupt? It's dangerous Not having one for your saftey!

I don't know how this happened other than guessing it was water that got into a socket?

Just got the MSX200. Where is it best to set the water level inside the skimmer? Below the neck, just at the neck, part way up the neck, 1" from the top?

I have never owned a good skimmer before, so I am little ignorant.

Last edited:
I love it! I don't have a huge bio load and I still get a ton of skimmit! I empty the cup every 2 days!

With a pw i run mine with the water level about half an inch below the neck. This is a pretty wet skimmate. It pulls 32scfh hooked up with the PW on mine. The mesh i had set right were the taper starts from the body and it was a pretty wet skimmate. That was at 50scfh. I run the pw now as i'm tired of mesh. They are great budget skimmers and work well. I just got tired of all the tinkering myself.

Back