BM250 vs MSX250 or 300

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I just got my Octo Extreme 200(Same as the MSX 200) up and running 2 nights ago. You will not be disappointed Dang. It's foaming nicely and even collected some skimmate already. I ordered mine from Reef Specialty. I'm using the pinwheel as I couldn't get the mesh wheel to start. It's my fault though I did a crappy job on the mesh.

edwing, reason your meshwheel won't start is because all the CV dealers are running stock sicce's and marine solutions are all machined pump's allowing mesh to be ran. HTH

You may be able to get it started with fishing line but not with zip ties. The msx volute has been machined a bit at the bottom to allow the zip ties and everything to not drag. Or if you listen the volute cover up it'll start up.

I have 2 MSX250's on 1300g of water and skim the hell out of the water. They support some pretty mess eaters too.

I haven't got my MSX250 yet (arriving tomorrow hopefully) but just wondering if you have to do any mods to them to make em skim better?

I don't have any pics atm but its not super hard. You need 3 layers of flatback mesh 7210. You cut a few generous squares out of it and cut a hole in the middle for the impeller part to fit through. You apply the flat layer towards the pump motor on the first layer, the second doesn't matter and the third layer you want the flat part facing the volute cover. You then tie it down tight with zip ties of fishing line. I'd suggest if you use fishing line to use 30lb test. When you trim down the mesh you have a few options. You can leave the mesh 3-4mm past the disc and you'll get the 45scfh but will most likely have to blow start the pump's. If you trim the mesh to be the same diameter as the disc you shouldn't have any startup probs. You want the mesh as even as can be and snip off any freyed edges. HTH

tamarindthai,

i bought mine at Marine solutions but so for in my experience they have absolutely zero customer service, never answer the phone, do not return voicemails, etc.

i found another place that looks like it has them in stock: http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/main.sc

Last edited:
So I just got mine from Marine Solutions today (QUICK, ordered it Thursday and got it today). I just set it up and started it up. No problems just one question, do I want the return pipe to be all the way open? or adjust it to a certain point. I realize that it's going to take a few days to break in, but wasn't sure about that.

Nice! That's were I have it now. I'm sure I will have to tweak it a little as it gets worked in. Man this thing produces some froth!!! So far I love it! MS even gave me everything to do the mesh mod on it...no extra charge!

Nice! That's were I have it now. I'm sure I will have to tweak it a little as it gets worked in. Man this thing produces some froth!!! So far I love it! MS even gave me everything to do the mesh mod on it...no extra charge!

how you get your order through MS,,they 'd never return my call ,email or answer the phone:confused:

look like reef octopus is the same skimmer?

I just ordered online and I forgot to add the pinwheel impellers for the mesh mod so I emailed Rob right after my order and he wrote back to me within 10 minutes telling me it was not a problem. I had no problems what so ever. When I received it today they even gave me the mesh, zip ties and 2 pinwheel impellers at no extra charge. Are you having troubles ordering it over their website?

Back