BobinCovington's new system "makeover"with sump stand, elos tank and...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

I started dabbling in reef aquariums back in the mid eighties when the concept of "live rock" was new and we used shop lights, plastic shotgun wads or DLS for bio material and skimmers only cost about $50. Damn...I should be much better at this hobby by now.

I have been asking everyone questions for so long, I finally decided to start actually doing something. I am anal retentive and I maybe a little bit gun shy of murphy's law, so I want to plan out a system that is well thought out to deal with potential failures (I won't use the word "bulletproof").

So this is the beginning of my "Saga". I will try to update with my progress as I go along, I will try to learn how to post pictures and hopefully I will come out the other end with a system that is beautiful, easy to maintain and reliable too.

Last edited:
My current tank is a 29 gallon system with a 175watt halide and plumbed to a remote sump out in my garage. It is small and easy to manage, but just not big enough (sound familiar). The sump was built by Jason at Clear Fabrications and is large for a 29 (approx 30x16x22 high ) The sump is the nicest part of my system right now (thanks Jason).

My project will include a few phases...

1) Build and install a new workbench/stand for my sump to replace the shelf unit I currently use in my garage. My current sump system in in my avatar to the left. It will serve as a testing bench with lighting, place to store supplies like test kits, filter materials and media, plumbing parts, etc and a place to house my sump with secondary containment and a bilge pump that pumps out to drain. It will be wired to house the marine grade electrical panel for many of the components in the sump. Once I get the sump in and running to support my 29, then I can focus on the rest of the work.

2) New crystal (low iron glass) tank from elos. I have ordered a custom 36" x 20" x 22" tall tank from elos through Barrier Reef. Not as big as some of the other beautiful tanks like Bricky's, but it'll do :)

3) Lighting choice right now is a 36" current USA fixture with 2x250watt halides, 4 x T5 bulbs and leds. Should be okay for that size tank, but I am still looking at options for DE bulbs (reeflux 10K?)

4) Stand will be custom maple shaker style cabinet with matching maple frame to surround lights and suspend over tank. My thought right now is to top the stand with granite so the beautiful elos tank looks like a work of art on top of it.

5) Misc- I will be adding my reefkeeper computer and maybe a few other reactors, RO/DI, auto top-off set ups, or other components to be determined

Lots of work ahead, and it may turn out a little different than my concept now, but that's half the "fun" right?

Last edited:
I have started the Sump work bench and have done the construction in two pcs that bolt together. Base unit with shelf unit that attaches. It has a "pan" that I used marine epoxy to water proof and then I painted the whole thing in several coats of primer and a hammered grey finish. Once painted, I am installing xenon under cabinet lighting and a nice industrial short pile carpet for the work surfaces. (home depot sends me a Christmas card every year)

A couple more pics showing the center area for the electrical panels... It will eventually become an electrical sub panel behind a hinged glass door (if you can use your imagination)

Here are some pics showing the lights going in, before routing cords. Lights will be on main work bench, under the shelf and also illuminating the sump area to see when I have my arm in the skimmer (yes that is a pool table in the shot...my wife loves it when I take over the living room with projects like this)

Those gold threaded studs on the shelf are the adjustable leveling feet that will go on the bottom of the bench. On the back surface of the stand it will be covered with cork or some type of bulletin board to pin up charts, misc receipts, or maybe a calendar?

I tried to upload a pdf file of the sketch of the tank but can't for some reason :confused: (invalid file or short circuit in the "operator") At least it's only going to need a couple of people to move this one in the house.

(I should clarify on the previous post...those are gold COLORED studs for leveling the stand, not actual gold) If I had that kind of money, of course I would spend it on a bigger tank, more lights and a bunch of rock

Last edited:
just so you can put a face with the name...here is me (I did release the fish unharmed and did not put it into an aquarium at home)

Last edited:
Nice touch!

Yes but if you lived in Hawaii and that was a 10 inch Naso tang with streamers I bet you wouldn't be releasing him. :D

Hey you do great work. I'd give you a butt load of frags if you came out and cleaned up my mess and made it as neat as your set up.

Here is a nice set up that I found which I really like for inspiration. Fine furniture looking Cherry Stand. This is the look I want to strive for on my stand.

I thought you were going to do maple? That nice looking furniture, although it looks like they added a stain to the wood and I'm curious how the top access works as the canapy is pretty short..

Our house has natural maple cabinets, so maple would go with everything. But I would consider doing something with a little more warmth like Cherry. I will check out lots of finishes for maple to see which I like best.

The canopy in the picture just flips up and rests back on itself (see picture)

I am still designing in my mind for a canopy that works as a traditional rest on the tank design and also raises up suspended above if needed.

Last edited:
Does that guy have any Calcium of DKH in that system? My 50 gallon reef is now a .750 with a .500 front with all the coraline I have. You know your laying it down when you need a dremel to carve out the teeth on your ofb.

Bob, when are yo going to come over and check out the SA TRP operator monolith? Even I can get out, you work too much!!

Peace,
Jason

Looking really good Bob. Just make sure one of the balls doesn't jump off the pool table and make your aquarium into a terrarium.

Elos aquarium on order and due in mid may.......check (thanks Barrier Reef and Jesse)

Furniture quality maple stand/light canopy being custom built.....check (thanks DonW)

Sump stand/testing bench sitting in living room (waiting for last wiring and install)

Still need to:
purchase my lights (current usa 36" 2 x 250 system)

start some live rock curing

tear down my old 29 system (it already has a home east of the mountains)

find a temp home for some coral frags, clown fish, and pair of golden banded shrimp (Fragman)

find homes for 6 RBAs, rocks with mushrooms, CPR overflow (CPR and some RBAs have a home)

install the new sump bench and hook up computer, electrical and plumbing

re-carpet living room while aquarium is out????

then finally, install the new tank and stand, fill with water, rock...

Last edited:
Can't wait to see your final product there Bob! Everything seems to be moving along pretty smoothly for you.

I don't know about "smoothly", but I am getting closer. :)
seriously though... I am getting excited to actually be doing this after talking and planning for so long. You should see all the pads of aquarium system sketches and lists I have all over the house.

Back