BobinCovington's new system "makeover"with sump stand, elos tank and...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I hear you Bob on having a lot of sketches lying around. I'm just about done with my build and I still have to clean up my graph paper. I can't wait to see another custom Elos tank.

"re-carpet living room while aquarium is out???? "

NO--- Just install a drain in the floor and make the floor concrete painted and textured.

You could run Radiant heat flooring ?

Or put sand on the floor and make it your own private indooor beach !!!

:)

Paul

I like the use of the marine sub panels I had thought about doing that on my stand but they are so darn expensive I will have to on the next system since I am running a lot of things pure DC now and need a DC panel they also make a nice expensive combo panel I might just do an all in one... Looks good can't wait to see it fininshed

I am getting to the point where I need to think about tearing down my 29 gallon tank and get ready for the new tank. It will probably be in the next two weeks. For those who asked me about the rose bubble tips, pm me, I will post a date and then try to shoot for a Saturday to have them ready to pick up.

Items I will have to do something with...
29 stand and canopy, lights - I have someone who is interested in it
CPR overflow - Roscoe?
RBAs (6 in tank) - 3 are spoken for
several rocks (1 with green star polyp, 1 with 6
-7 nice green mushroom anemones, several other misc rocks with polyps)
various small frags
1 clownfish
sand?

I also need to figure out where to keep my pair of golden banded shrimp and a few tiny frags while I set up the new tank. Maybe I'll set up a small 10 gallon tank in the garage

let me know if I can answer questions

Last edited:
anyone have a really small tank with a decent light to use as a holding tank for some frags, shrimp and a few things while I swap out tanks? Maybe a 10 gallon with some decent lights??

Ok, talk about a reef nut. So this week I am having underground sprinklers put in and one of my questions to the contractor was " so how much to run an extra waterline under my house up through the wall into my garage to put a hose bib for my RO system and have running water for my testing bench?"

seize the opportunity right?

by the way, I am selling a Johnson 4hp outboard motor to finance my reef project if anyone is interested.. $500 Help out a fellow starving reefer (sorry, shameless attempt)

I am taking it all with a grain of salt trying not to stress. It takes a lot of coordination to have everything ready to go, and I am not really ready yet anyway. Still working on the sump bench and DonW is doing the stand waiting on last confirming measurements before he finishes. Jesse from Elos has been very good about communicating the status as the tank ships in from Italy.

Any and all of you who have installed large systems have my respect.

I understand, I'm sure there is alot that goes into it. I was just asking because I saw mid-May delivery. So when do you expect it?:)

I am taking it all with a grain of salt trying not to stress. It takes a lot of coordination to have everything ready to go, and I am not really ready yet anyway. Still working on the sump bench and DonW is doing the stand waiting on last confirming measurements before he finishes. Jesse from Elos has been very good about communicating the status as the tank ships in from Italy.

Any and all of you who have installed large systems have my respect.

update for June 23
The new tank is shipping up to Barrier reef from Jesse's shop in California. Here are a couple of pics while he was un-crating and getting it ready to ship out. I can't wait...thanks for everything Jesse at Elos and to the guys at Barrier!

Well the tank is looking good and almost here, Don has done a great job on the stand, the sump workbench is ready to install and then I need to run some plumbing and electrical. I still have to take down my 29 gallon tank to make room and the rose bulbs need to go to their homes.

So here's where it gets interesting... on Fathers day I was playing my 15 year old son in a fun little basketball game in the driveway. Yes, there was a few glasses of wine involved and I still had my dress shoes on after we had just come home from dinner...

I anticipated his cutback and stepped in front of his path to the basket, he turned and ran into me and then I fell back and put my arm out and heard a "Crunch". I thought it was a bad sprain, but it swelled up and the bruise turned all kinds of colors over the next couple of days. I even tried to swing a golf club and it stung pretty good. Well it still was pretty painful so I went in today and had x-rays...looks like I have a fractured elbow and I get to have a cast put on tomorrow! My son feels bad, but it wasn't his fault.

This is just the worst timing with all my stuff to do. Oh well..I guess, but I should still be able to get it put together.

Last edited:
Updates? Am watching to see what happens. I just got an Elos 70 and am in the midst if the same deals you are going through. Waiting on a stand and wife wants new carpet:) Oh the things we do for our tanks:badgrin:

We installed the sump work bench in the garage. You can see it starting to take shape. The blue grid is fiberglass grating and there is a bilge pump that will be mounted on the right to pump any spills or overflows (or after rinsing equipment) out to drain. Panels to mount the electrical panels and outlets is being made by a company in Kent (Techna NDT). These pics dont show it, but I made some bulletin board covered with black burlap that mount in the spaces on the back of the bench.

Oh and ordered a new skimmer (Warner Marine AS150). Will probably pick up tank this week and Don will bring the stand up later this week. I feel like a general contractor orchestrating all these details.

Here are the new electrical panels just set in place before being wired in. On the main from panel are two sub panels, First panel is for incoming AC with 3 breakers (lights and outlets, sump electrical and 12V for the bilge and panel backlights). I will probably make a hinged glass door to protect the panel from accidental switching.

The other panel has 8 switched breakers and custom labels for pump, skimmer, phos reactor, water changes, dosing pumps, etc, etc). The narrow panel of outlets will mount on the right side and I will drill a hole in the bench top for the power cords to access the wet area.

The large switch on the bottom is a bilge pump switch (auto-off-on) for the 12v bilge in the secondary containment (to pump to drain for water overflows or rinsing, etc)

and the new Warner Marine AS150 skimmer just arrived in a nice big box...

Last edited:
Back