Bored! So lets design a Skimmer!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

can you post pictures of your mods, would love to see what your trying. Mikes got a ton of ideas running around in my head right now

Peppie I dont think you have to go with a big chamber or huge skimmer, I figure you could scale this in to any size application. If your recircing the water to achieve dwell time and bombardment then you controll that with water in and water out, a simple powerhead will do that. SO now the water will be recircing so the only thing to continually build is the air bubbles which we will send onward and upward.

I am starting to think the Air stone may be the easiest, simplest, most effective way to go.

Yea thats what I did but I think if we could pull this off it might be better, specially for smaller units. In my skimmer its water down and air up so I get all the bombardments, dwell time and percentage easy, but because my tank is so large I need the big mixing chamber. Now if we could create the rotating chamber with a recirc that would allow us to scale down to any size. Well at least that is the goal.

Mojo

can you post pictures of your mods, would love to see what your trying. Mikes got a ton of ideas running around in my head right now

Ill try pics tomorrow, basically its an 8 in tube with a 6'' mixing chamber with bubble plate, Ive recirced the n/w to the bottom below mixing box and added a water supply above the mixing box, pretty simple but close to the idea, will give me enough data for a build haha

plan as of now for test box is to use venturi on recric pump for bubble production, this is controllable and won't beat the bubbles to death as with needle wheel. The water supply for skimmer will be from overflow so we will be able to controll dwell time and no pump needed. As for bubble plates going to make them removable for future mods and box top will be flanged for easy access. Bubble tower will also be flanged so can we remove it for future mods also

any suggestons or thoughts welcome

plan as of now for test box is to use venturi on recric pump for bubble production, this is controllable and won't beat the bubbles to death as with needle wheel. The water supply for skimmer will be from overflow so we will be able to controll dwell time and no pump needed. As for bubble plates going to make them removable for future mods and box top will be flanged for easy access. Bubble tower will also be flanged so can we remove it for future mods also

any suggestons or thoughts welcome

if at all possible build the pump in the skimmer and avoid adding that extra 90 degree turn, mine has been quite reduced in output

Boomer,

I have the Escobal book and it is not as dense as I was expecting. A light read actually. Hope to plow through it on the bus commute.

No its a pretty easy read and not to long. The math gets a little deep on some of it, if you delve into it to much.

have fun

Mojo

meanwhile back at the skimmer thread lol, after modding my skimmer to the design ideas I had a little problem, not enough cfm's to push foam out the 4'' neck, so I downsized to 3'' and lo and behold!! very dark skimmate is being produced in about the same quantity as before so my conclusion is this does work. Question's now are "what kind of head are we looking for?" and what about riser size and length.

So give us some numbers Sas. whats the flow through rate, maybe a picture or two? pump size?

Mojo

FWIW I happened to stumble across this skimmer from another forum. But it raised my eyebrows. If I see this correctly it seems to inject water and air in a lower chamber, then works its way up towards the bubble plate, from there the water exits through the middle of the skimmer. I found it interesting on how to make a compact skimmer with increased contact time. If I see this incorrectly please let us know.
Seaplast.net - New Revolution Skimmer

Thanks

Kevin

Yea looks good from a concept point of view. Is it recircing? or is it just blowing through like other needle wheels??

Mojo

Mike

It's not a recirc. from what I can tell. But the concept seems quite interesting, for such a compact skimmer.

I have an aqua one marisystem 240 filter with inbuilt skimmer. I am no longer using this setup but think surely the skimmer part could be modified to just skim in a smaller system ie hang on type. Any suggestions. I have already purchased a deltec skimmer but if I ever have a 2nd tank this could be useful.

So give us some numbers Sas. whats the flow through rate, maybe a picture or two? pump size?

Mojo

right and grrrr lol. Pump is aquaclear 110 900gph with gutter guard mesh
supply pump mj 1200 with head delivers about 75 gph
skimmer body 8'' by 25'' height to riser collar
tapered 3'' riser
just cleaned the riser and picture is about 1 minute running

0907111735-01.jpg

0907111735-00.jpg

0907111755-00.jpg

Sas,

Do you have a "full skimmer shot" for comparison? It looks like to have some innovative concepts in use.

Does the "cup" drain clog or does the airflow keep it clear?

Sas,

Do you have a "full skimmer shot" for comparison? It looks like to have some innovative concepts in use.

Does the "cup" drain clog or does the airflow keep it clear?

Full pic tomorrow Im shagged, the riser is 3'' and the outlet pipe is 3/4, head builds up like a plug and floop! squirts right out, much less drizzle back into the skimmer, I want to make a double or triple riser in 1.5'' and see what that does lol, should be like a pipe organ

We are in the middle of making the first prototype for the mixing chamber. Guerry should have something fairly soon.

Mojo

Back