Brandy's 40 Breeders

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brandyrb

OK, so they're Mike's too, but mainly mine. :p He's got his own 300 gal build thread, so I figured I'd start my 40 breeder thread.

We currently have 3 40 breeders. One that is holding all of the corals for our mixed reef, one that's been cycling for a couple of months and will be the new mixed reef once it's ready, and one that we use to treat corals or to hold frags.

Below is the current mixed reef. This tank will be emptied of it's livestock in the next month or two and become a softy/clown/anemone tank. We currently have a couple RBTA, green start polyps and mushrooms in our main 300 gal SPS display that we don't want in there. The mushrooms and GSP snuck in on our live rock. We first started this hobby with softies.

This is a very basic setup (all our 40Breeders are) with two maxi jet 1200's, a CPR HOB Refugium w/ light, a CPR HOB Skimmer and a heater. The lighting is a 36" 6 bulb TEK T5 fixture. The bulbs in this fixture are about a month old.

Fish include:
Tailspot Blenny
Randalls Shrimp Goby
Tomini Tang (temporary resident; will be moved to the 300)
One Spot Foxface (temporary resident; will be sold or taken back to the LFS)

LPS include:
Large Christmas Favia
Green Favia
Dragon Soul Favia
War Coral/Favites
Hot Lava Chalice
ATL Molten Lava Chalice
ATL Meteor Shower Cyphastrea Ocellina
Watermelon Chalice
Unknown Chalice (pineapple tooter from Tracy)
Firefly Echinopora
Yellow Turbinaria
Blasto
Kryptonite Candy Cane
Red/Green Acan Lord
Purple/Green Acan Lord
Faded Acan Lord (appears to be changing colors, was a really light pastel color when I got it)

Zoas include:
PPE
Purple Death Palys
Magician Palys (have closed up for the last few days and I don't know why)
Radioactive Dragon Eyes
Eagle Eyes
Tubbs Blues
Ring of Fires
Fire and Ice morph?
Pink Panthers
Pink Flamingos
unknown red zoas
unknown orange zoas
unknown purple and green
unknown orange/yellow and green
another unknown zoa that I don't remember the color

SPS include:
ORA Chips Acro
ORA Joe the Coral
ORA Red Planet
ORA German Green w/ Blue Polyp Acro
LE Sunset Monti
LE Ponape Birdsnest
LE Cyphastrea Decadia
Purple Haze Monti
Appleberry Monti
GARF Purple Bonsai
Cali Tort
Oregon Tort
Paletta Blue
Blue Tenuis
3 different kinds of milliporas
Tri-color
Pink Birdsnest
Pink w/ Green Polyp Stylo

And a Purple/Blue Crocea Clam

In other words it's packed with a bunch of small frags. :) (I wish I could take better pics. I'll have to work on that.)

40TankShot1.jpg

Here's a couple coral close ups:

Red/Green Acan
acan.jpg

Pink Flamingo Zoas:
zoas2.jpg

Unknown Red Zoas
zoas1.jpg

Here's an old picture of the new 40 breeder that will soon hold all the corals above. It is also lit by a 6 bulb TEK T5 fixture:
new40breeder.jpg

Left side view:
new40breederleft.jpg

Right side view:
new40breederright.jpg

I'll add more pics and updates as I get them or start moving the livestock. I'm going to place common SPS in the new 40 breeder to make sure they live first.

Last edited:
The CPR is OK. We had a turboflotor 1000 multi on it before and that skimmer was GREAT, but the pump went out on it. The pump was bulky too, so would be better used in sump or hanging on the back of a sump. We have a Remora Pro hang on skimmer on the frag tank and a coralife super skimmer on the new 40. They all produce about the same IMO. Nothing compared to the Deltec on the 300. We also have an ASM mini-G in the frag tank and that's a good little skimmer too. I'm still trying to talk Mike into drilling one of the 40's so I can have a sump and use the mini-G.

Thanks all. Charlie what do you mean, my corals should buy me dinner? That went over my head, lol.

The 40 with all the corals looks like a frag tank right now because all the LPS and Zoas are on the sand bed, but they'll have a permanent home up on the rock in the new tank. Some will stay in the sand. Their current tank went through a grape caulerpa outbreak which myself and the foxface finally got under control.

I have three different cameras to try and get decent pics with. Two point and shoots and the neighbors SLR. I actually take better pictures with the point and shoot cameras. Go figure. I'll try and getter better close ups tonight or tomorrow.

I can't wait until I can get all these corals moved to the new 40 so I can arrange them how I want and watch em grow. I have a sickness/addiction to corals. I don't think I could ever have enough, lol.

Very Nice!

Bssed on the coral list I would say you had the 300 gallon tank :D

Keep up the good work.

You treat them so well, they gotta owe you something!!!!:D

Oh, gotcha. They were actually paid for by my other corals in the 300.

Very Nice!

Bssed on the coral list I would say you had the 300 gallon tank :D

Keep up the good work.

I know. I'm going to add more from the 300 too, but I have to wait for them to grow. I told Mike I get a frag of every collector coral and there are a few he won't let me touch yet, even though I was the one to buy or trade for them, lol. His prized becker tort, his ora borealis, my 20K leagues lokani and my setosa. We actually argue over what livestock/tank belongs to who, lol. Then I have to remind him that I was the one who bought or traded for them all and he reminds me that he maintains all the aquariums, which he does.

So maybe I should buy him dinner!

Here's some more pics:

Large Christmas Favia
ChristmasFavia.jpg

Dragon Soul Favia
DragonSoul.jpg

Hot Lava Chalice
HotLavaChalice.jpg

Randall's Shrimp Goby
RandallsGoby.jpg

Unknown Chalice from Tracy (jabba the hut?)
UnknownChalice1.jpg

Yellow Turbinaria
Turbinaria.jpg

Ring of Fire Zoas
RingOfFire.jpg

Unknown Millipora
RedMilli.jpg

Close up of the Red/Green Acan
RedAcanCloseUp.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas
RadioDragonEyes.jpg

Unknown Orange and Yellow Zoas
OrangeZoas.jpg

Fire & Ice Morph
FireIceMorph.jpg

Unknown Orange/Yellow Green Zoas
GreenOrangeZoas.jpg

LE Ponape Birdsnest
PonapeBirdsnest.jpg

ORA Joe the Coral
JoeTheCoral.jpg

LE Cyphastrea Decadia
Cyphastrea.jpg

Kryptonite Candy Cane
KryptoniteCandyCane.jpg

Micro (Japanese) Acan
MicroAcan2.jpg

Purple/Green Acan (this one is more colorful than in the pic, but did lose some color)
PurpleAcan1.jpg

Crocea Clam and Purple Haze Monti
Crocea.jpg

Christmas Favia Eating
ChristmasFavia2.jpg

Hmm, I'll have to look at the zoa id sites. I bought those from Barbie's and she called them something else that had sun in the name, but I don't remember what. The new polyps have a yellow center then they turn orange as they mature. They glow under actinics.

So....... I get Dinner? Nice.... Oh and im locking the fish room, and i did change the Locks...HEHE

I think you're forgetting that I have a key! You didn't change the lock. If you did, you forgot the key in it, lol. So yeah, maybe I'll make you dinner or take you out to a fancy/romantic dinner at Taco Bell. :p Kidding. Hey aren't you supposed to be working???

Hey Brandy

I owe you and the kids dinner, after all we already fed your husband. Not anything romantic, I hear Arbys is having a sale, and KrispyKream for dessert.

Back