Briopsis and New tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Husker12181

As a lot of you guys know I have started a new tank (you can see it in the Tank Show Off forum). One of the main reasons I am building this tank is because my 90gallon tank has a terrible outbreak of Bryopsis that I was unable to beat and just gave up.

My question is I wanted to transfer some sand, water, rock and a few remaining corals to my new tank. Is there anyway of doing this with out transferring the Briopsis?

A couple of my corals are only attached to small pieces of rock no more then 2-4 inches cubed but there are 2 rocks in particular that have a couple of corals attached, the rest of my rock I will have no problem drying and bleaching one way or another.

I was going to have a last ditch effort and using Tech-M but did the math and even getting it cheap online I would need about 50-100$ of the stuff and I would rather spend that on Dosing equipment.

Any thoughts would be great. THANKS!!

I remember having a problem with a red turf algae ( I don't know why it's called red turf, should be called red tough algae) on a few zoanthid frags and someone said to try a hydrogen peroxide dip 30% hp to 70% tank water for about 3-5 minutes, then rinse real well. I held each frag in front of a powerhead for 20-30 seconds.
It worked on that algae, but some had to be dipped twice and that was on zoanthids, nothing else.

The Tech M treatment works, but it takes time 2-3 weeks or more.

Maybe if you can chisel a small piece of rock off with each coral and try the hp.
What kind of corals?

The important coral is my huge torch coral and my huge frogspawn. Otherwise I have a couple montiporas and candy cane corals there are mushrooms and zoas but i would be fine if those didn't make it and a couple ricordias. oh and some xenia which i wish died a long time ago.

The 90gal has been up for more then a decade and the sand water would have tons of bacteria in it. Would it be better to just start from scratch? Even though i need a tank that is very cycled to transfer my livestock.

My choice would be to start from scratch if the rock had bryopsis. I would not use the all the old sand ( some, but not all) and the water has so little bacteria in it that IMO would not be beneficial.
I would chisel as much of the rock off the corals as I could and scrub the remaining rock( with the coral) with a stiff bristle brush.

Do you have new rock to use?

I actually got all new rock from Marcos rocks, and I got brand new sand From oceans by design. None of it is live is the problem.

The bryopsis really complicates things (IMO). Normally you could transfer old rock over and have little or no cycle.
I would get the new tank with the rock cycling. I'd use a cycle starter like that Dr. Tims. I've heard a lot of people swear by it.
Maybe get a few pieces of live rock to add to the new tank to help the cycle along.

Then while the tank is cooking, maybe consider working on the bryopsis in the other tank with some Tech M?

Back