brown algae on top of #00 bahama oolite live sand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tangtang clown

Does anyone know anything about brown algae? It grows in the same spot on top of #00 bahama oolite live sand. Even after I move the sand or cover it up, it is still there.

I just turned on my UV Sterilizer to see it that helps.

Could be cyno or diatoms. How old is the tank??? If newly setup, then it's all a part of the cycling process. As the tank matures, it will subside. If the tank has been up for a while, I'd check your nitrate and phosphate levels to see where they are at and try limit excess nutrients in the tank. As for why it seems to grow only in that one particular spot and comes back after you remove/cover it up is probably due to the fact that the conditions there (possibly the flow) is perfect for it. Just a few thoughts :)

I second the goby idea. Of course keeping your water parameters in line are crucial as well, however all sand seems to show some degree of build up over time.

My sand was starting to show some light colored film on it (it didn't look like cyano that I have seen, just some coloration) and I added a Diamond Watchman Goby about a month ago and he went to town and over the course of every other day seems to turn over every inch of my tank. The sand looks great and he makes some really cool burrows.

At this point he is my favorite tank critter to watch. Don't add one unless your sand is very fine as they pass it through their gills to filter out critters and micro stuff. I think a healthy refugeium is good for filtering critters as well which I have. I do try to target feed him a few times a week with whatever I am feeding the tank to make sure he is happy as well.

Good luck,

Chris

my first goby died.some aked me what i fed him.i said "nothing" i thought he lived off of what he filtered off the sand.WRONG.poor guy.i felt bad

I believe they eat copepods that are living in your tank.
How long has your tank been established?

Back