bryopsis help please.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul,
Thanks.

AquariumDebacle, BTW, my H&S skimmer is rated for 700 gallons so I think I am good in this category. :)

just an update here.

I have raised my mag too 1900 with tech-M and so far (fingers crossed) I have seen very fast results in the bryopsis dying off. by no means am I reporting victory but...... its a start and a good one to boot!!!

Just some FYI: I have taken no other action besides the tech-M from the start of this thread till now, infact today was my first water change during the raising of the Mag...

I hope this works!!
AFTER ALL I BOUGHT 6 GALLONS OF TECH-M!!!

matt

matt,

My Mg level is 1800 and see some die off on the sides of the tank. Minimal on the rock itself. I would like a faster die off. Some say to give a couple of weeks before you can really tell.

I am either going to dose again with Tech M OR take all of the rock out and let it cook and start over with new cured rock.

matt,

My Mg level is 1800 and see some die off on the sides of the tank. Minimal on the rock itself. I would like a faster die off. Some say to give a couple of weeks before you can really tell.

I am either going to dose again with Tech M OR take all of the rock out and let it cook and start over with new cured rock.

did you get tech-m yet? I can get it for you for $30 per gallon. pm me for details if you like

Matt

Update!!!

well the bryopsis has been completely gone for over 2 weeks now, so I am on the right track, I will keep my mag up for a while longer and will continue to moniter my feeding habits and water quality so I dont have another out break of the bryopsis.

Woohooo. Tech-M worked for me...

matt

matt,

congrats !!

I still have it..I am removing all of my live rock and scrubbing it clean. My Mg level is around 1900. I plan on getting 1 gal of Tech M this weekend.

I will try and take some before and after shots.

I guess I'll chime in here on the Tech-M experiment. I just dumped 1.5 gallons into my system this weekend. My Mg level is around ~1800ppm currently. In two days I've noticed the stuff on the back glass turn from green/brown to grey/white. Some patches on the liverock seem to be physically blowing off the rock with no added flow from the usual powerheads. My skimmer is going crazy removing brown, thin skimmate. Seems to be skimmer wetter then usual. I plan on keeping the level elevated for a couple of weeks and then doing a pretty massive h2o change.

if the algea is dieing then it need to be sucked out before it cause a differnt algea phase

has anyone acctually taken a water sample then ripped out some byropsis and then squezed some water out of the plant in to the test vile and then tested for phophastes and nitrates??
cheers for the tip on rasisng mg i see alot of tanks with bad byropsis so no i can lend a hand eles where

treehugger,

I siphoned all the grey dead algae off my rock, and removed all of it from the sides of my tank..slowly but surely I am noticed more and more die off. I also removed some big rocks and scrub the &^%$ out of it and then a good rinse in some RO water which I threw away. this was all a precursor to the 50 gallon water change I performed, I then waited until night time and dump another 1 gallon of Tech M into the tank. I should be noticed some more die off around Wednesday.

Kirk

The TechM does work!!! my tank is still free from this stuff, infact all my algae in the tank has gone away!!!

matt

So the die off of the bryopsis has definately slowed down significantly. I'm not sure how long I'm willing to keep the levels this high as I've noticed some bleaching of soft corals (ie mushrooms) as well as some lack of polyp extension and stress to my sps (montis especially) Any thoughts?

So the die off of the bryopsis has definately slowed down significantly. I'm not sure how long I'm willing to keep the levels this high as I've noticed some bleaching of soft corals (ie mushrooms) as well as some lack of polyp extension and stress to my sps (montis especially) Any thoughts?

I have had absolutly no adverse reactions to the elevated level in my tank, infact I still have mine at 1800ppm.
polyp extension is still the same and everything is growing like mad!

Matt

I have had absolutly no adverse reactions to the elevated level in my tank, infact I still have mine at 1800ppm.
polyp extension is still the same and everything is growing like mad!

Matt

That's because you made a deal with the devil!:evil::D

I only have LPS and one crocea clam that are doing well at a level at 1800+..has been at this level for at least 3wks..

dont know how feasible this is, but do you have a friend or another tank you can temporarily move the corals to?

IME, levels need to be between 1600-1800 for any die off to occur.

I'm giving up on the Tech-M method. It definately killed quite a bit of the bryopsis but in the process has bleached a good deal of my softies and lps and now today I'm noticing some "Mg burn on my sps". It seems like the Tech-M also caused my Alk to go crazy. Now that the majority of the bryopsis is dead or dying, I'm going to water change my way out of it and pick the remaining dying clumps out by hand.

Back