Bryopsis/Kent Tech M Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks for the encouragement Jeff I'm gonna do that for now, just raise the levels a little at a time over a few weeks.

I am basically learning that VERY porous live rock is a good thing IF you don't have Bryopsis, Aiptasia, or Mojanos. If you do (I have all three) its your worst nightmare because it gives them a place to grow out of that you can't get to.

Aiptasia can be taken care of with some aggressive peppermints. They cleared my tank out. Then they started eating acans so I ate them..haha...it's always something with these tanks. I guess the ocean just wasn't meant to be kept in a box. Good luck. Let me know how it works out. I'd like to check out your setup one of these days as well :)

mattelycrue,

whatever you do, do NOT try to pop or crush aptasia in a tank, you will just release spores in the tank and then you will have more aptasia to deal with.

Yeah I'm quite proficient with kalkpaste and a syringe. Unfortunately I know for a fact that there are some in places I can't get to so they'll always be able to reproduce. I tried some peppermints but they didn't make it. One even jumped into the overflow. I don't think they got along with the other shrimp in there. Made me feel bad.

What about freezing the rock? you guys have tried everything else. I read an article at a place called fish suite101 about bryopsis that says if you can freeze the rock it will break cellular structure in the byopsis effectively killing the algae.

Back