Bryopsis/Kent Tech M Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattleycrue76

Aquajunkie
I have decided to go to battle with the Bryopsis in my tank using Kent Tech M. Unfortunately I don't curently have a test kit for mag so here is my question:

How much should I dose daily for a 72g/w 15g sump ( I have been doing 25ml)

What happens if my mag levels get to high and what would the signs be?

I do intend to get a test kit but in the mean time I would appreciate anyone's experience with this

I wouldnt even start without a test kit. If noone replies, send a PM to treehugger or NC2WA I beleive they both just finished the same procedure.

Agreed.

Without knowing the initial value of Mg in the tank, it is impossible to give you a dosage amount. Mine intial value was 1100. for the size of my tank, I increased 500ppm at once. I waited 10-14 days and need it again. and yes it did work. but I am noticing it coming back, but not as bad. if you live close to a LFS, take some water in and have it tested, then use a Mg calculator to determine how much ppm you want to dose. for TechM to be effective, I've been told your level needs to be over 1600, anything over 1800 you will see snails die off. the highest level I had was 1900.

any other questions, let me know.

good luck. you need determination with this algae as it is persistent. (most people just start over).

Kirk

So in other words you raised your mg leves 50 percent at one time?

I do plan to get a test kit. Unfortunately the LFSs I have asked don't have kits for mag so it might take me a while to get my hands on one. I was just wondering if I slowly raise the levels, what's the worst that can happen If I overshoot the mark a little bit. I don't want to loose my snails but I REALLY don't want to loose my SPS/LPS

well, I had LPS and a crocea clam and had no ill effect of raising this high at once..I was told that you need to shock the system will a large dose at once, as this is usually more effective than raising the level slowly. however, treehugger had issues with his SPS and had to stop, but I will let him give you the details.

the other option (which in my opinion is the most radical and last resort) if you dont want to dose with TechM is to remove all LR, place in a bucket with a lid for several weeks until all algae is gone (I believe they call this "cooking" the LR). In the interim, you could buy some LR to keep the system going, but like I said this is the most radical and costly of them all. I almost did this, as most people start over that have bryopsis as they cannot truly get rid of it..I have some re-growth on my LR and sides of tank that I periodically clean my hand scrubbing..when payday comes, I plan on getting some turbo snails to clean the sides of the tank..im hoping this will help..

I wish I had better news for you, but having experienced this myself and talking with people that have had it, this is the outcome.

:(

I took mine from 1300ppm to 1800ppm in a week. The bryopsis died off that's for sure but it caused my sps to rtn, my lps to bleach, and my softies to vomit their insides. I'm currently bryopsis free but at the cost of most of my sps colonies and some serious color loss on my softies and lps. The colors are coming back with water changes and more stable conditions but I have noticed a patch here and there of bryopsis again. My recommendation would be raise it slower over a longer period of time (less shock on everything) I would think a couple of weeks to a month would be best. I WOULD NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A TEST KIT! Pay close attention to how your corals react. PM me or give me a call if you have more questions 831-246-4778
Jeff

I think finding the root problem is the real answer, then fixing it. But just to dose techM to treat isn't a real treatment, its a band aid. Whats going on with your tank? Just bryopsis blowing up everywhere?

luke,

I have pulled the rock out of the tank and scrub the heck out of it, only to see it grow back weeks later..I have been fishless for 3+ months so no food has entered the tank. my water has been tested by a professional firm (if you would like a copy just PM and give me your email address, i dont mind sharing it) and no issues with my water..I have no idea what the nutrient source is..my Mg level is 1800 (has been for 2 months) and I just started to run carbon.

I recently added 4 carpenter wrasse and they appear to be doing well. I feed them only what they need.

In a world where finances are NOT an issue, all of this rock would go in a bucket and wouldnt be seen for at least 6 months (hell to get my jollies, i might want to blow torch all of the rock to just to some satisfaction) :) :) . i would then replaced it with cured rock, but since i lack the finances do to so, i am left with pulling the rock out and scrubbing and keeping my Mg level up..

any other suggestions??? I would love to find the source and beat this algae, satan, or whatever choice word you can think of.

:D:D:D:D

After nuking it with Mg, I did LOTS of H2O changes. 50g every 3 days for two weeks and now 30 a week for maintenance (Just make sure your H2O source is good :)) I've noticed one or two little spots where algae has come back (appears to be more of a turf algea then that wonderful bryopsis). When I do the big water changes, I have been waving the debris out of my liverock and stirring up my DSB. I've also been running carbon in a reactor (1.5 cups and it gets switched out every two weeks) and skimming very wet. I stopped running phosgard all together. All and all I'd say my corals are alot happier, my levels are more stable, and I have resummed my normal feeding of my LPS, SPS, and fish.

FYI Matt .
We have two magnesium in stock now, not tropic marin but still pricey.

Rob - ARSA OPEN ON BLK FRI!!

i did a few bottles... of techM, only tested a few times,

had a little bleaching, (got crazy with it a little)

the B will die down, but it comes back .... Im really not to thrilled about the hole Mg, story...

i mean its almost gone, but its not all the way gone,

Burning,

I am in the same boat as you..with all the scrubbing of the rock (out of the tank), and increase level of Mg, it is gone, but still there..at least now I am able to have corals on the rock w/o them getting choked out from the bryopsis.

(confession: I so much want to throw this rock away and start over with new rock, but funds just aren't there.) :)

naw dont throw it out... just boil it.. or let it sit out side for year type deal..

ive already got all the stuff together for my next 75g setup..

Im just working on the rock now,
makeing sure i like what i have b4 i add it alltogether and make a display,

The killer B,

sux,

(thats the oceans killer Bee)

Wow, the more I read this the more I want to use this as an excuse for a tank upgrade and start over. Sadly my current financial situation won't allow for this so:

For now my hopes are on Kent tech M

I think the tech-M is a good patch. By patch I mean it kills of a large majority of the stuff. This gives you time to get it more under control and figure out the root problem and a better, long term solutions. I'm still a firm believer that even though I had issues, the issues came from me rushing to raise the levels. Take a couple of weeks to bump it up and I think you'll be happier with the results. If you notice bleaching you can always stop and water change your way back to normal. There is never a quick fix unfortunately to most reef problems. Time and good maintenance are key. Good luck.
ps...you still haven't been over to see the 240g now that it's up and running :) I still owe you for helping me to move that sucker.

Thanks for the encouragement Jeff I'm gonna do that for now, just raise the levels a little at a time over a few weeks.

I am basically learning that VERY porous live rock is a good thing IF you don't have Bryopsis, Aiptasia, or Mojanos. If you do (I have all three) its your worst nightmare because it gives them a place to grow out of that you can't get to.

Back