BubbleMax 2500 bubble plate protien skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
Any thoughts/comments?

BubblePlate Protein Skimmer with Needle Wheel Pump
Dimensions: 6" Diameter 21.45" Tall
Designed for aquariums up to 250 gallons.
Footprint 7" x 11.5"

Pump Product Description
Features:

Flow rate: 430.5 GPH
Max Head: 7.59 ft.
Connections: 5/8" hose barb compression fitting inlet & outlet
50 Watts
Dimensions:
6-3/4" X 6" X 4-3/4"
Weight: 3.7 lbs
Can be used as a submersible or external pump
For use in aquariums and ponds
High quality aluminum ceramic shaft
Four suction cups

I hear they are new and not "out" yet. No pictures i know Aqraurium Paradise has one for $300

To be honest, I wouldn't buy anything from Aquarium Paradise.

Doing some searching, it's kind of funny, the same guy that is selling the one from craigslist is also selling a bubblemax 1500 on another forum.

http://onepitstop.net/showthread.php?t=600443&highlight=bubblemax

and another one here.

http://onepitstop.net/showthread.php?t=648113&highlight=bubblemax

All from the factory. When you actually do a search on google though, there is nothing that comes up at all other then his 3 postings.

Last edited:
yeah i know thats why i figured i would ask if any one else has heard of them. They say they are new and will be seling them to stores.

And to be honest im pretty upset about what Aquarium Paradise did the other day but i'll let it go.

But i do know of another store that will be selling them too and they are a good store lol, dont want to give out names yet.

I guess i'll have to be a guinea pig.

I looked at the two links you gave me gotfish and it looks like the person who posted it has a LOT of posts.

He certainly does, it just seems a bit odd to me that the guy is selling these on craigslist etc. when they aren't "out" yet. Even more, google didn't have any info on them besides the 3 posts that guy has. I'd just have to say it's a cheap knockoff that isn't so cheap. Especially at $300. You could get a skimmer that is well known and well reviewed for cheaper.

You seem to be pretty good at finding these obscure parts no one has heard of though, I have to give you that much.

dude, dont waste your money on that crap...
I have seen them, and just put it out of my memory....lol
If your going to get a cheap skimmer like that, then this is the one you want:

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-nw-150-br-needle-wheel-protein-br-skimmer-749.html

pump look familiar? but much better design to the venturi, NW, and skimmer body. and a bubbleplate that is poorly designed (like that one) might as well not exist.

and if your going to spend $300 then get this:
http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

Yeah, i wouldn't put out $300 for something you can't find copious positive reviews on cust service for help if something goes wrong, let alone know which pump is in it.... and shoot, for $300, you can get a pretty nice skimmer. look at the asm's, warner marines, find a used euro-reef.... esp. since you're good with craigslist. I think you could get better options than some random obscure product that you don't know anything about. :confused:
We've been on the skimmer hunt for a while too, i feel you on how confusing it is. we also have the ghetto seaclone, with more mods than i care to admit. still crappy.:rolleyes:

that sounds like a guy that i bought some tanks from a few years back. he was trying to become and acrylic builder. He also peddled some stuff to aquarium paradise. he made the systems they have that are cubes that they use to some rock and little fish. not the greatest system. lots of problems. the name Ruben rings a huge bell. he is kinda shady. he was located in vancouver the last i new. I had been to his shop a couple of times. I just forgot about him and saw this post and thought it sounds familiar. Last time I was at his shop he was trying to build skimmer and had just gotten in a huge shipment of acrylic tubes. Funny... been a while and forgot all about him. Id stay clear.

dude, dont waste your money on that

and if your going to spend $300 then get this:
http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

Or......... spend the $420 on the MSX 250 extreme. Its similar to the BM 250 I paid over $850 for. Its currently skimming a 450 gallon system and keepiing up. You can't go wrong!!! Treehugger has the 250 extreme on his 240 and things are doing awesome....................................

I wasnt going to pay $300 for it thats for sure! We were going to get a good deal on it. It was supossed to be made from a guy that used to work for another skimmer compony.

It will be heavly stocked. So i want some thing that cant handle a heavy bioload.

I think i will go with what was origonaly reccomended for a little over $300.

so it is made by them and they have a 60 day return policy.

Any one want to use it if i buy it? My tank wont be running yet or i would do it.

If i can find some one who is willing to use it on there tank to see how it works for a week or two then i will buy it, if not i dont want to buy and not be ble to return it if my tank isnt running to test it on my self in 60 days.

Made by who?

I kind of doubt the validity of a 60 day return policy on a skimmer. 60 day warranty maybe, but not a 60 day return policy. Get that bad boy in writing with no fine print if that's the case.

Good luck in finding someone to run it for you, but I'm gonna do the smart thing and just pass on this whole thing. If it was in my care and something happened to the pump or the skimmer itself due to crappy construction, guess who's gonna get the blame. Then, guess who's gonna want $300 for a new skimmer. Everyone else can do as they please, just a suggestion by me.

Really, just take everyone's advice and get yourself a well reviewed, well sold skimmer

This is who i have been talking to.....

I am getting it "half off" so $187 is what i would be paying for it.

Ruben Bagby
CEO/Technical Supervisor
[email protected]

NW PLEX INC.
4601 NE 78th St. #110
Vancouver, WA 98665
Ph. 360-576-9225
Fx. 360-576-9270
Cell. 360-356-5250

Every one has to start some ware.
I wouldnt "blame" who ever had it in there tank i would "blame" the people who made it lol.

well, just so you have some idea of what you'll be putting your money down on, my nw-150 has a 530gph pump on it. The pump you'll be getting with that skimmer is rated at 430.5gph. My nw-150 realistically would only skim a 90g with a heavy bioload at least that's what I've read. The bubblemax 2500 has an extremely generous rating of 250g and could probably only skim a 75g. I bought my nw-150 for 168 shipped. You'd be saving yourself $20 by buying the nw-150.

Your money though so if you get it, let us know how good/bad it is.

Back