bulding a new tank.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok so now i have a 40b tank. I ordered a 1" drill with two 1" bulkheads, and one strainer for the overflow. Im going to be putting one bulkhead on each side of the tank. No overflow box just the bulkhead. and then those are going to flow down into the sump. So here is what i am asking of people. How much water does a 1" hole produce (gph). What return pump would be best so that the skimmer will have enough time to do its job. How big of a heater should I go? should i go 1 250 hqi or should I go t-5's. I have 2 k4s laying around that i could use for water flow in the display. should i put any more flow? anyones input is welcome. i need to know if i am forgeting something or not planning things right.

i have an etss skimmer that i bought but i think it would be too big. it has a mag 9.5 on it and i think i need a smaller one. or would a smaller pump work on it?

ive done some research and found that a 1" bulkhead can drop up to 600gph or 10gl a min. and a maxi jet 1200 can push up to 295gph at 69"(I dont really beleive this at that height). So if i put the holes as high as possiable on the tank about two or three inches in from the sides. do you guys think this will work and give the skimmer enough time to work its magic and cleanr the water the way it should?

Back