bulding a new tank.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Loke

help bulding a new tank.

Hello everyone i am building a new frag tank. its a 40 critter tank. its water tight and i had it laying around and it was never used. so i am figuered i should put it to use. i built a stand for it. i am putting a 20 long for a sump. So here is my questions.
How big should i drill the hows for the inlet and outlet.

where should I place them.

and what equipment should i use. ie. return pump, plumbing size of the pvc pipe, power heads. light.

any and all help would be appriciated.

here is a pic sitting ontop of the stand i built.

securedownload.jpg

Last edited:
ohh yeah and what skimmer should i get or if someone has one i can buy thats is going to work good for me. it should be a 60gl system tottal. so i only need one at most for a 100 gl system

I would think about a vertex in-80 skimmer or a in-100, both are under or about $200.

Drill at least for a one inch bulkhead drain, return could be small like 3/4.

Maybe think about baffling your sump for proper skimmer h2o level and a internal return pump that does about 750-1000 gph before head.

Any questions LMK.

ARSA

its up to you if you want to make an overflow box or just drill the holes on each end of the back as high as you can go to the blk trim.

An aquaticlife 4 or 6 bulb t-5 system w/timer control is a great option.

its a critter tank but it says its water tight i have filled it up and let it set over night with water full on the stand i built with no problems.

does any one think i should use a different tank for the display?

I don't think that the sealant used is rated for constant water pressure. It may leak check good over night, but guarantee it will break seal and come apart for you. It is also made out of thinner glass I believe, which means that there is even more stress on the seams.

ok so does anyone have a 40 long or something that will replace the 40 critter cage?

i just got back into wapato. today went to apollos and pick up some great deals. ill make the drive if there is something i want or need.

does anyone have any lights for sale. im looking for at least 150 de hqi. or mabe some leds. accually anything that sps and lps will grow under lol

i would do t5's. it wont heat up the tank that much, not like a halide would. i have a t5 setup but there 48" long.

man, you should get the 2 seaswirls i have, put in on each side of the tank, use the squid to alternate the flow and the mag 2 for the return. presto, you wont need any pumps inside the tank

Last edited:
ohh yeah and what skimmer should i get or if someone has one i can buy thats is going to work good for me. it should be a 60gl system tottal. so i only need one at most for a 100 gl system

I still don't have a skimmer for my frag tank after a year. I have a couple sitting around but they don't fit. Most say a skimmer is a must...I still need to find one that will fit my small sump.

if u maintain water change every week or every couple weeks..you will be fine...i remember i have a fully stock tank with no skimmer and everything is thriving...especially u will have a sump in your frag tank then it should be fine...u can put chaeto or any macro algaes:)

i was thinking of getting those from u apollo but not sure on that part of the build. so i might think of the macro algee it would be cheaper than doing a skimmer. i would like to keep the heat down on the tank so mabye i will look into doing t-5s

Back