cabon in sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MrSculpin

So what is best for running carbon in a sump? I've read
that unless the water is somehow forced through it, that it doesnt do much good.

Im working on the plumbing for my 75 gallon, and the sump baffles, and wanted to plan for a spot to be able to add carbon. Maybe it doesnt need it?
The sump is 30" long, so has room for the skimmer part, a refug, then the return pump section. Now it has only one baffle in it, so Im going to add one or two.

The best way to run carbon is fluidized. You can use a bag but you have to shake and mix often.

Don

So what is best for running carbon in a sump? I've read
that unless the water is somehow forced through it, that it doesnt do much good.

Im working on the plumbing for my 75 gallon, and the sump baffles, and wanted to plan for a spot to be able to add carbon. Maybe it doesnt need it?
The sump is 30" long, so has room for the skimmer part, a refug, then the return pump section. Now it has only one baffle in it, so Im going to add one or two.

I'm going to be using one of these on my new setup:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~filters_two_little_fishies_phosban_reactor.html

I use the canister the carbon came in and I ran a 3/4 inch pvc through the lid. I drill several small holes in the lid around the hole for the pvc. and I make sure that the pvc is about half inch off of the bottom of the carbon container. A few elbow pieces and a maxi jet 600 and there it is a home made carbon device. It works efficiently. When I change the carbon I pull the lid off and screw it on the new carbon container. As the water gets pushed through the pvc to the bottom of the container it is channeled through all of the media and released out of the top with the little holes that were drilled. I sit that bad boy directly into my sump and let it run. It works wonderfully.

Oh and it only costs the amount of the carbon and a small power head. You do not need anything crazy powerful. I can post pictures of it if you would like.

From what I have seen in my own tanks, if you want to run carbon to just remove gilvin (yellow water), I have had good success just setting a small bag of carbon in my sump in front of my skimmer output.

It is true that carbon is most effective when water is forced through it but it does work when it's not forced through it just not as well.

So here are the pictures I took. I hope that it helps out a little bit.

DSC02451.jpg

DSC02452.jpg

So the pipe I have going into it goes all the way to the bottom. Then I have all the way around the hole for the pvc a bunch of small holes spaced about 1/4 of an inch apart. I then I hooked it in and plugged it in and there it is. Works absolutely awesome.

So the theory is that the water comes in and using the channels built into the bottom pushing water through the carbon. I have even used purigen in here, all I have had to do is add a cut out a piece that covers the lid so that the purigen can not escape. Pretty simple and easy.

Ah the pictures help alot. Looks good. It looks like you only
have a few inches of carbon in the container. Is that correct?
How big would you say are the holes? Looks like a great
setup! Thanks!

I always hung my bag of carbon right where the plumbing from the tank dumped water into the sump. Never had an issue and seemed to work well. :)

If you were to daisy-chain two phosban reactors together for carbon/GFO... would it matter which reactor was fed first?

The problem you run into with daisy chaining is flow...GFO and carbon dont like the same amount of flow...Its possible to do but it is usually better to have 2 separate reactors running their own pump

Just use a larger pump and split the flow. Works just fine.

Don

Thats what I've been doing with a maxi600 and separate valves for flow. I was thinkin the daisy chain would help organize my sump a bit with the reactors sitting right next to each other.. vinyl tubing doesnt like to flex much and they're pretty far apart. Maybe I'll pick up some 90's and do some replumbing:) Thanks

It is true there is only about 4 inches. It just happens to be towards the back. I like to see it float around so I do not pack it full to the brim. I think and I could be wrong but it aids in the surface contact with the water. But again I am still just learning. The holes that I have around the pvc are small I do not remember the actual size. It just has to be small enough that it is not allowing pieces of carbon out. Hope it works for you. It took me about 5 mins to make and has worked ever since.

Back