cal/alk question????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brady816

Ok i hope someone can help me out here..Krish has helped me out alot and i didnt want to bother him anymore. So i thought i would put a post here. Im going to start dosing my tank with C-Balance liquid calcium component and liquid alkalinity component. Trying to help my corals grow Ok here is the question

I tested the ph before the lights come on this morning and the ph 8.2 ppm

I tested the calcium and it was 310ppm

I tested the alkalinity and it was 6.7 dkh

I know its low but thats with adding nothing just doing the water changes. I added one cap full of each to the tank today. When should i test the ph,cal,alk?

And the magic number im shooting for

cal 400
alk 8.0 dkh

Thanks alot

Last edited:
Ok i hope someone can help me out here..Krish has helped me out alot and i didnt want to bother him anymore. So i thought i would put a post here. Im going to start dosing my tank with C-Balance liquid calcium component and liquid alkalinity component. Trying to help my corals grow Ok here is the question

I tested the ph before the lights come on this morning and the ph 8.2 ppm

I tested the calcium and it was 310ppm

I tested the alkalinity and it was 6.7 dkh

I know its low but thats with adding nothing just doing the water changes. I added one cap full of each to the tank today. When should i test the ph,cal,alk?

And the magic number im shooting for

cal 400
alk 8.0 dkh

Thanks alot

Although the alk suppliment will increase ph, it will just be a short term spike due to the addition, so dont worry about it.
Just test daily until you get it where you want. Then back off a bit and make sure it stays where you want it to be.

I like 10 and 420

Don

does Kalk work better???

Everything has it own use. Kalk is fairly balanced so you get ca and alk. This is great if your tank is already balanced. But if you find yourself low on say just ca then you need to bump just ca with a additive. I dont like two parts. I just use ca chloride and soda to make changes otherwise the carx and kalk does the job.

Don

do i have to use this stuff??? it will just take longer for the corals to grow if i dont add anything right?

You do need to get the levels up to NSW. However you choose to do that is a personal preference. Its alot cheaper to buy a jug of ca chloride and a box of baking soda.

Don

hmm i will try and get this up some. the tank has been running for 6 months now and i havent had a problem with the corals yet. What would be the biggest problem with the cal/alk range thats in my tank now?

i'm tagging along :p .
i believe the problem with having your params like that, would be slow growth and the corals would not drive/trive/brive (or whatever you call it when they look pretty .......... Krish please translate that :lol: :p)

hmm i will try and get this up some. the tank has been running for 6 months now and i havent had a problem with the corals yet. What would be the biggest problem with the cal/alk range thats in my tank now?

The older your tank gets the faster it will consume. If you get much less than where your at your going to see lots of problems. If your alk falls much further you will start seeing ph issues. 6 months is still an infant. I'd get used to the fact now that you need to get themm up and keep them up.
Otherwise your success will be very short term.

Don

donw

thanks man for the info and the advice. When should i test the ph,cal,alk tonight when the lights are on or when they go off??? I put the stuff in this morning around 7:30am i didnt know if anything would of changed or not

thats what im doing thanks again... im sooooo happy i found this website. the people here have been very very helpful with everything...

i'm tagging along .
i believe the problem with having your params like that, would be slow growth and the corals would not drive/trive/brive (or whatever you call it when they look pretty .......... Krish please translate that )

I don't speak Monkey Gabby:p

krish has been helping me alot. I just didnt want to bother him anymore about the questions and stuff.

LOL! You should know me better than that man. Shoot any questions my way anytime:D

Krish, you just sent me a pm saying you were tired of Brady asking you dumb questions!!!:p :p :p :p :p J/K..i just want to start something:badgrin:

Its alot cheaper to buy a jug of ca chloride and a box of baking soda.

Don, where do can you get said jug locally, any idea?

Failing that I suppose I could order some. My Ca is a little on the low side compared to Alk. I'm hoping if I add a little of this they will balance out and my Ca reactor will keep it this way.

Back