cal/alk question????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Don, where do can you get said jug locally, any idea?

Failing that I suppose I could order some. My Ca is a little on the low side compared to Alk. I'm hoping if I add a little of this they will balance out and my Ca reactor will keep it this way.

You go to the lfs. or home depot and buy a bag of dri-z-air for $2.

Don

so you don't use Kalk(Don)??? or do you mean that this is how you balance it??

so you don't use Kalk(Don)??? or do you mean that this is how you balance it??

The ca chloride is just to balance. When I do a water change IO is low so I add ca and mg, leave the alk alone. This way everything that goes into the tank is balanced.
Kalk I use just for ph boost and the ca and alk is a bonus. So I dial back the carx. My tank consumption is large. Youll get the hang of it by the time you start consuming large amounts.

Don

i am going to test my Ca in a minute..i need to get a better brand test kit though..yesterday i bought(RC) Reef Crystals instead of regular IO...i have started using RC again on my display for the added elements

Krish, you just sent me a pm saying you were tired of Brady asking you dumb questions!!! J/K..i just want to start something

ROFL! You can start be re-aquascaping that ugly tank!:lol: J/K Brady's on the right track and should be good to go:)

if u have really low cal kalk level it cfan cause lps corals to peel off there skeleton

i made that whole thing up!! i wasn't being serious..i just give Krish a hard time!!!

i know your just joking around. But for real some times after i write something and then i look at it and im like i know the answer why did i ask this...its all good

Ron just likes bothering Krish :p:lol:......Krish you don't speak monkey because you speak penguin :p:lol:.

ok SO i have a question :p..sorry Brady dood for hijakin your thread :p.

My tank has been stable for 3 and a half years (softy mainly), i've been doing some serious thoughts ( yeah i actually think :lol:) on changing my tank to a lps with few sps, is there a simple way i can keep up with the Calcium, alk, ph, mag without crashing or anything like that? i truthly would like to keep it simple :p......any ideas :)

is there a simple way i can keep up with the Calcium, alk, ph, mag without crashing or anything like that? i truthly would like to keep it simple ......
i'm with Gaby on this one..any ideas???

My tank has been stable for 3 and a half years (softy mainly), i've been doing some serious thoughts ( yeah i actually think :lol:) on changing my tank to a lps with few sps, is there a simple way i can keep up with the Calcium, alk, ph, mag without crashing or anything like that? i truthly would like to keep it simple :p......any ideas :)

Why not use kalk for your topoff water? You may need to add some Mg from time to time, otherwise this is about as simple as it gets IMO.

2nd day problem

Hello all i just tested my water today and there is a problem with the ph now..

1st day
ph 8.2
alk 6.7
cal 310

2nd day

ph 7.8

alk 7.0dkh

cal 350ppm

So do i wait to add anymore of this for my ph to come back up? I tested before the lights come on..

well i went ahead and did a 5 gal water change tested the new water and it was 8.2..i know since i did this all of the cal/alk will be low..i dont know if i jumped the gun with the water change or not.. I was afraid that the fish would die with the ph that low...

well i went ahead and did a 5 gal water change tested the new water and it was 8.2..i know since i did this all of the cal/alk will be low..i dont know if i jumped the gun with the water change or not.. I was afraid that the fish would die with the ph that low...

No your fish are not going to die at 7.8.:) Sounds like a night time ph swing. You may concider dripping kalk at night instead of two part. This will help patch the ph swing and add ca and alk.

Don

hmmm sorry to sound like a total noob man.. im just trying to figure all if this out....thanks again for your imput...

The problem with learning to keep a tank balanced is the process. Most attempt to make changes out of concern and end up tipping the scale one way then the other over and over.
This is tough on a tank. PH for some reason seems to be the most stressed over part of reef chemistry. Im sure its because most people have ph meters and have that big display screaming at them. Probably a good thing we dont have a monitor for other parameters.

Don

Back