calcium test kit help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tava716 said:
I have been adding calcium for the last 3 days without any change in levels. level is at 300 right now. I hope to see it go up soon.
How much of the Ca additive are you using to what volume of water and how often? What salinity is your water? IO salt should mix close to 400 ppm at 35 ppt, a good couple of water changes would get you most of the way instead of the stand alone additives.

Low Mg will not normally be the issue with low Ca, Mg typically hinders alkalinity in that fashion. If Mg was low, Ca would appear to climb almost independantly.

Cheers
Steve

Just jumpin in here. Ive got a hagen master test kit that includes (of course) calcium tests. The test is really simple you ad one drop of regent to turn the water blue then count the drops until the water turns pink and multiply by 10. Really simple, Im not sure how accurate though. It sometimes tests funny. One day i may have a reading of 420, the next it may not turn pink at all. So yesterday i ordered a seachem calcium test kit. Does any body have any input on this kit? I dont think its as simple as the hagen but hopefully more accurate.:)

Pauls said:
Does any body have any input on this kit? I dont think its as simple as the hagen but hopefully more accurate.:)

I am currently using seachems calcium test kit. It seems to be very accurate but not the easiest to use!

Brian

Well, I went out an bought a Salifert test kit. I get readings of 430 now. I guess that damn Red Sea kit was reading wrong. Also got a Salifert ALK kit. All peramiters are fine now.

Thanks for all the help gang! Glad to see the site is back up and running!

tava716 said:
Well, I went out an bought a Salifert test kit. I get readings of 430 now. I guess that damn Red Sea kit was reading wrong. Also got a Salifert ALK kit. All peramiters are fine now.

Thanks for all the help gang! Glad to see the site is back up and running!

Nice to be secure, isn't it?? Glad things are workin out for you!!!:D

Charle,

How are things in Big Sky Country? My dad says it has not been too bad out there lately. Weather kinda nice in the valley.

Back