Camera suggestions...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My Daughter just got a T1i and she loves it. Now I get to buy her a macro lens so she can take my reef pictures.

Nikon D3000 or D90 if you really want a nice camera. Then get yourself a nice macro lens for super close up photography.

D90 adds the nice feature of putting the Auto Focus into the body of the camera so that way you're not stuck spending more on Auto Focus Lenses. Also with that said the Nikon's that put the AF into the body are able to use almost every Nikkor lens made.

D40 if you can find them for a decent price are nice beginner cameras but do not have the AF built into the camera body. So you will need to buy AF lenses.

Tamron makes really nice lenses as do Nikkor (Nikon). And as others have mentioned stay away from the grey market cameras as well as the Ebay and Craigslist. You definatly get what you pay for with the DSLR's these days. Also if you do look at cameras from Craigslist be sure to look and see how many photographs have been taken with the camera. Every digital camera keeps a record so you know how many photographs have been taken with a camera.

And IMO I've used Canon and feel that the Canons over saturate the color. Don't know why this is but Nikon versus Canon this is what I've found as well as others.

Sigma is another good company that makes quality lenses.

And lastly, if you want you can always go down to Glazers and rent before you buy. Kind of like a real test drive of different cameras.

Last edited:
And IMO I've used Canon and feel that the Canons over saturate the color. Don't know why this is but Nikon versus Canon this is what I've found as well as others.

Sigma is another good company that makes quality lenses.

And lastly, if you want you can always go down to Glazers and rent before you buy. Kind of like a real test drive of different cameras.

I second that on renting before buying...especially on a higher end lens, you may find that it doesn't suit your needs like you first thought. I also agree with Sigma they are one off brand I have been very impressed with. As far as oversaturating that can be easily offset in the camera itself (especially with all the profiles you can preset) or by shooting raw. But than again the vivid color Canon produces is a quality that is usually positively argued.

Back