Camera

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

No matter the camera spend your money on lenses. I have nearly $6,000 in lenses that have seen 4 different cameras. They'll out last the camera technology and will go with you onto the next camera (unless you pick crop-sensor only lenses and go full frame) Like someone said the 50mm 1.8 is a great low light lens and super cheap almost a must have just because it's so cheap. However super slow at focusing. I personally prefer Canon, however my very good friend shoots Nikon and has the new D3x and that thing is AMAZING!

Kinda goes with what i always say, "Go big or go home". I agree. But i dont know that much about cameras or how to use them, so for this once, im going moderate...lol.

i don't know anything about cameras either just my Buddie telling me what to get for what i want to do which is take family pics and tank pics. he also said for a small fee he will teach me everything i need to know about this camera. (woman better listen as well!!)

i plan on using it for family photos and the woman wants to do photography so its the deal for me and i love taxes.

senji,

well if your woman wants it for photography to make some money then yes, great deal..

Photography and Reefkeeping are EXTREMELY similar. If you stick around long enough it is addicting and expensive, you get what you pay for and more than likely the store put together 'combo deals' you will find to be less than subpar. Not to take anything away from combo deals by any means, I've purchased them (when I started out but didn't know better and didn't really have any friends/forums at the time to ask questions) and learned from them. I still have no problem recommending them to anyone that is looking for a camera that can do more than a point and shoot. It is a great way to get your feet wet to see if photography is something you want to invest in. But if you are looking to seriously get into the hobby (and even attempt to make money) I couldn't recommend enough piecing together your own setup. It is very much like going into Petco (when you are first wanting to setup that saltwater tank you always wanted) and picking up an aquarium with 'everything you need to get you started' only to get the bug and become addicted. Thus realizing all that you just purchased is about to go on craigslist. Leaving you on the hunt for the perfect pump/skimmer/tank, etc... This is all coming from experience and I tell anyone that ever asks me about getting into photography and reefing the same thing.

pandora,

IMO, then buying just the camera and lenses separately is your best bet.

anyone use the nikon d3200 yet. that is the one im looking to get soon. just wanted to know if anyone has used it and if they liked it or not

my Buddie is a professional photographer ans said for what wee want to do with taking pics of tanks and handling light that the cannon 60d is the best out for handling light and taking pics of tanks.

I havent read the thread but I would invest in a full frame camera body no matter which brand and buy your lens separately if your budget permits.

Back