Camera

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

so i gave in and went to best buy and bought me a christmas present. i went there to buy a nikon d3200 and was talked into the nikon d5100. wow for how much these camera are. you would think that they would come with a memory card. nope.so after christmas i plan on buying a tripod. then i plan on buying the macro lens with my tax return. wow there is alot to learn about this camera.

this is the package ill be buying in feb a great deal for some1 serious about getting a camera.

Canon EOS 60D DSLR Camera 7 Lens Video Kit 52 Piece Package BRAND NEW -FREE SHIP 0013803129052 | eBay

I wish I'd checked back on this thread MUCH sooner! I truly hope NO ONE buys this. First, Canon should have never even made the 60D. It's been their biggest FLOP yet. Stick with a 40D or T3i, or step up to the 7D. Second, You would have absolutely NO warranty. There are MANY cameras sold on Ebay. There are VERY FEW cameras sold on Ebay that are "authorized" so most will not have a warranty. Two of the lenses are decent, five of them are JUNK! Some of these products are identified as Canon products but are NOT. You'd be buying about $1000.00 worth of good product.

Well my wife suprised me with a late christmas present, a canon t3i. She told me to learn quick...lol...she wants me to take pictures of the fireworks at the space needle. Any tips. Will be from my back porch in manchester.

Lol. Congrats on the canon. I personally have a canon rebel XS I love it.
Nikon does make a decent camera but I have always been a canon guy.
Here's the deal. First thing you need is a tripod. It is perfect or landscape or close ups.
Makes everything easier.
Hope you both enjoy your new cameras dslr's have come along way and once you spend ex amount of money it's hard to go wrong. Once you figure some settings out you'll have awesome shots. :)

White balance is a very important one in our hobby as the camera's don't like to photograph blue very well and the WB will help a lot with that. Saturation and Sharpness as well as f-stop and manual light metering are also used very often in photographing your tank and inhabitants.

I use a Nikon d500 and love it. it is about the best camera you can use without going to a full DSLR. it has a full body and a 36x optical zoom. We will be upgrading to a DSLR soon but this camera will always be our fall back camera.

good luck.

Well to let you know, costco has the canon t3i kit, camera/2 lenses/bag/8 gig sd card, on sale till the 5th for $729. Cheapest we could find around us.

someone should host a class to help us out on how to use our new dslr's. i know i need help. i have no clue of what settings i should use.

The PSAS held a meeting last year at Barrier Reef in Renton. Brea gave a great tutorial. Maybe we can line up another meeting in the spring. I know a new member who lives out on the penninsula that is great with photography.

I'm on the same boat needing a some guidance. My wife got me a cannon t4i in December and I'm only using the presets so far. I've wanted a DSLR for years. Now I just need to learn it!

His screen name is something like pouslbomsc.org over on the PSAS forum (thePSAS.org) I'm not sure if he's over here on RF. There are quite a few people around that are great with photography. He is just one that came to mind.

I love my Canon 50D. Tripod and macro are a must as well as a program called Lightroom. It allows us as reefers to modify the temp of the temperature for the lights we are using. In other words if we are shooting under a 20k MH then we can edit the lighting in our photos to show the photo as such. You do have to shoot in raw format though for this option.

Here's a little shameless promotion for the PSAS

Photography Workshop at Barrier Reef

Date: Saturday, May 18th
Time: 6:00 - 8:30p.m.
Renton,Washington 98056
425-277-7670

This workshop is going to be similar to the one held last year at Barrier Reef.
Brie is going to give another short talk about some basic photography skills and then we're going to practice on Barrier's beautiful tanks.
We'll also be able to do a little late-night shopping at the store. More details to follow on that.
We don't want to hijack the thread here, so we started a thread in the PSAS section.....

Click this link to post up any questions about the event and stay in touch as we get more details about the workshop.

Back