Can AGA be drilled for reef's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

plack

Sea Otter
I saw the ad for a 180 in portland aga but I want the closed loop going thru the wall so i thought about acrylic but man is it expensive can it be drilled without damage by a glass place ? I'd want to install an oceans motions 4 way in it as well as a sump at 4500 gph thanks for reading :)

I've drilled my AGA, but not a tempered piece... Only the bottom was tempered on mine.

-Josh-:cool:

how can you tell if it is tempered or not?
jetaero said:
I've drilled my AGA, but not a tempered piece... Only the bottom was tempered on mine.

-Josh-:cool:

most the time the bottom is the only tempered piece and it will have a sticker on bottom side saying "DO NOT DRILL"

hope that helps

And is 6 holes too much for a 72"x20" 1/2" thick pane 4 would be for a 1" thru the bulkhead and the others for 1 1/2" drains :) and if so anyone know anyone in seattle that would do it ?

does that mean just the bottom is tempered or the whole thing is tempered?
Ohgee said:
most the time the bottom is the only tempered piece and it will have a sticker on bottom side saying "DO NOT DRILL"

hope that helps

If it's not tempered where I want to drill ? I don't know if it's tempered yet as I am at this point just trying to see if I can get a 6 foot tank :)

o.k. it's not tempered where I want to drill but will this signifcantly weaken it ? And can you tell me who has the equipment and would be willing to do this ? :)
Paul

Glass shops

Hi Paul glad to see your getting/ thinking of a bigger tank! I have had my all-Glass drilled with no problems at my local glass shop they charge a flat rate of 20$ a hole hope this helps call your local glass shop and ask...Jeff
And yes my all-glass say on the bottoms not to drill, sides=OK:D

plack said:
o.k. it's not tempered where I want to drill but will this signifcantly weaken it ? And can you tell me who has the equipment and would be willing to do this ? :)
Paul

Hello!
I am in the market for 55 gallon glass tank and I am curious to see if you know anyone in the Seattle area that drills glass tanks?

Thank you!

Drilling holes in the back of 6ft tank you should have plenty room to drill your 4 OM holes & your drain & pump suction. I was told that once you install the BH's it actually strengthens the area as long as the holes are well sanded first, I would get all heavy duty BH's, bigger holes slightly but they are real thick. Ron (Detri) has lots of glass experience, when you layout your hole pattern let him take a look at it for advise! Hope you don't mind Ron:D

Every AGA that i ever owned has always said "do not drill bottom tempered glass" My sump/fuge is a 75 and i have a 2" hole that my LFS drilled on the one side for my return. The sides are fine its the bottom that will break.

As for drilling a lot of holes and will it weaken the glass. I'm not sure but i wouldn't advise it. It just seems to risky to me.

My thought is to have the back drilled for an overflow. Any recommendations for a good glass shop that would drill for an overflow?

Back