Can these be used together and every week?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

CalxMax 2 pt Calcium / Alkalinity Buffer (by Warner Marine) which I use everytime I do a water change. Should I use on weekly water changes? Also should I also use Kalkwasser every week with water changes and with the CalxMax 2 pt Calcium / Alkalinity Buffer?

Thanks!

not lately I have not. Should I test before doing anything?

idgy said:
not lately I have not. Should I test before doing anything?

Pick yourself a set of parameters ca, alk, mg and sg. Dose to stay as close to those numbers, within reason. There is no way you can have stability otherwise.

Don

I was a real DA when I first started using the Warner 2 part....I followed some crummy LFS advice to dose with another buffer as well, not realizing what the second part of the 2 part product was......My alk went through the rooof, which I discovered after I started testing for it...lesson learned for me. I started using it right as well as testing and now it seems to work great for me.

i usually would dose the calmax independantly of my water changes, per the instructions about 2 times a week. i used it in conjunction with kalkwasser for my top off water. i found that calmax was worthless for elevating my levels, but it worked well for maintaining my levels. i saw no adverse effects or readings from using it with kalk, but this was on an sps tank, so things were being absorbed quickly. ultimately i swiched to a reactor, because i was using so much calmax it got to be expensive.

The amount that you have dose is directly proportional to the amount of corals that you have in your tank. The type of corals whether soft, LPS, or SPS is also a determining factor because they all consume calcium at different rates. In my softie and LPS, I currently dose everyweek after the water change and that seems to be sufficient.

Goodluck

Back