• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Can this tank be saved?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bosco83

So we bought a tank from a member on here to make a new setup for my wife. We have a lot of time and about $100 in plumbing and stuff to set this tank up for her. We refinished the stand that was spray painted black to a nice faux wood grain finish about 15 hours of work in refinishing the stand and hood alone. Special ordered lock line for returns and totaly replumbed the tank. Anyway I was testing the sump and all the plumbing out today and noticed a very slow leak coming from the front of the tank at the bottom in the middle. What should we do we are really dissapointed after all this work and money? Here is a picture of the leak :(. He didn't have water in the tank when we came to look at it so I asked him if we could fill it. He then stated he guarantees all his tanks he sells but did fill it for us.

The top of the stand wasn't perectly level that is why we made sure to find foam to go in between the stand and tank.

This new setup was supposed to get my wife excited about keeping her own tank again after all her fish died in her 55 gallon with no sump and no explanation. Now she is more upset then before :mad:.

Thanks,
Brian

001-12.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that looks like an acrylic tank. The way the bonding material is bubbled up around that bottom seam would make me suspicious that it is just a bad seam. You could maybe weld on a piece of square stock along the seam. That should do it. Or if there is a guaranty on it then take it back.

How about asking Jason at clear fabricators? I can redirect this thread for you to his forum?

On our 45g....my husband popped the seam by picking it up from the top. He used a liquid glue for acrylic, then re-enforced top and bottom seams with a square rod bought from Tap Plastics.

Yes it's an acrylic tank.

Thanks Scooter I kinda wanted a few more opinions from everyone but I was thinking about pm him.

Brian

I moved the thread. If the tank leaks regardless of time you need it fixed. Did you try to contact the person from whom you brought it?

I just reinforced a whole 240 that was old with 1/2x1/2 with weldon 40 in seams just for piece of mind check all seams to see that they are clear if they are cloudy or bubbly reinforce these as well it is hardly noticeable when complete and faily inexpensive and can be done in a day if you do seams on the same side let them set before you turn tank

I just reinforced a whole 240 that was old with 1/2x1/2 with weldon 40 in seams just for piece of mind check all seams to see that they are clear if they are cloudy or bubbly reinforce these as well it is hardly noticeable when complete and faily inexpensive and can be done in a day if you do seams on the same side let them set before you turn tank

Any pictures?

shoot me you number I will text you photos of my tank with the square stock in it works great and can add as like my tank is 1/14 inch thick now due to the stock added around the tank.

Ok well I drained the tank and you can clearly see that spot that is bubbled is where someone temporarily fixed a leak with weldon.

Brian

Here is a message I sent the guy I bought it from.

I was just done getting everything setup for the tank we bought from you for my wife. After having water in the tank for two days it started leaking. Here is a thread I posted asking questions about it. The spot that is leaking looks like it was poorly patched with weldon. We put a lot of time, work and money into setting this up nicely. We refinished the stand, bought $48 dollars worth of loc line with special fittings to make it fit the pvc threads, and got all the pluming setup properly with ball valves and re-did the standpipes. I was about to place an order for a custom made sump to fit inside the stand I'm glad I didn't now.

We would just like our money back so we can get a new tank. I can leave all the plumbing (besides the loc lin) in place so you can repair the leak and re-sell this setup. I didn't say who I bought this from on forum, and I'm not even sure you knew about the weldon patch that was put in place. We just can't trust this in our home on our hardwood floors.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
I would definitely post who this is if they do not make this right with you (within reason). Good luck.

I would definitely post who this is if they do not make this right with you (within reason). Good luck.

No don't do that here, that is breaking rules big time here. Take it off the forum, the topic was a question about if being save, not bashing someone out in public, we can't do that.

Just a little FYI, not to be mean or anything it just can't happen here, this forum isn't for personal use in that manner.
:idea:

I wasn't going to mention any names either way it's just not worth my time and not really my style. If I have to I will just repair the tank and probably try and sell it with full disclosure.

Brian

Last edited:
No don't do that here, that is breaking rules big time here. Take it off the forum, the topic was a question about if being save, not bashing someone out in public, we can't do that.

Just a little FYI, not to be mean or anything it just can't happen here, this forum isn't for personal use in that manner.
:idea:

That's too bad it is breaking the rules "big time". I never said anything about bashing either, it's not bashing if it is truth. It was only mentioned if this particular person was to get "ripped off, or purchased something that was falsely represented". A "seller feedback" section could go a long way, like many other forums/websites have. But than again accountability isn't something a lot of people can handle.

Sorry to "hijack" the thread that wasn't the intent. Good luck with this!!

Last edited:
just so you know I would trust that tank reinforced way more than a tank not reinforced the added 1/2x1/2 makes it almost bullet proof

That's too bad it is breaking the rules "big time". I never said anything about bashing either, it's not bashing if it is truth. It was only mentioned if this particular person was to get "ripped off, or purchased something that was falsely represented". A "seller feedback" section could go a long way, like many other forums/websites have. But than again accountability isn't something a lot of people can handle.

Sorry to "hijack" the thread that wasn't the intent. Good luck with this!!

You must of not read our rules and why we have them, maybe that would explain everything you just commented on, Including the sellers forum rules as to why we don't allow negative feedback.

The guy is going to refund my money for the tank so that makes us feel a lot better.

Brian

In this event I would say an honorable mention is in order if its aloud. Everyone always likes to know who really stands behind there work or products.

Back