Canon 50D or Nikon D90

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

amashun

As title, which one would you prefer and why?

I'm tossing between at the moment.:cry:

Thanks in advance

They're both very capable cameras and will both give you excellent results, within the capabilities of the photographer. It basically boils down to which one feels best in your hands and offers you the best access to the tools and settings you'll use most. I'd recommend going to a good camera shop and handle them both. Take a few pictures, work your way through the settings. Then decide based on which feels best to you.

They are both great cameras. The best way is to test both of them at the same time. Which ever one feels most comfortable in your hands should be the one.

I have a D50 and I love it! Great for a first DSLR. The D90 is about 3 years older and has a LOT more features though. If you have the money go for the D90.

Edit, never mind, I read D50 not 50D... even though it said Canon 50D, lol. oops

Cheers for all comments, i will go to the shop and check them out.

thanks all

The D300 is a very nice camera! It can make anyone look like a profesional. It pretty much fixes all flaws for you. It makes a crappy lens great and makes your great lens even greater.

I've had the D-90 for a few months now so i'm not an expert yet. I especially like taking photos using the lcd screen in the back. This feature is very useful when you are out and about.

Hi,

Sure. just sharing what i found out. please note, these are just my personal opinions and i'm a beginner of the DSLR world so please do correct me if i'm wrong.

I've Canon cameras for few years from Ixus 50 to Canon G10, and really, i would like to move on to 450D or 50D as most Canon user would prefer because we are so familiar with the menu setting etc.

However, after went into a Nikon's store, i'm successfully convinced by the owner of that shop or perhaps i may just want to try something different. the things that i feel about Canon nowadays, they just want to release their camera around 18 months but they forget about the quality? i was reading the review on dpreview and checking out their reviews. I found that the Canon 50D is basically a 40D but with more pixel and additional HD video, in some certain degree, i think it preforms more worse than 40D. I do not like the fact that the noise on a 50D and its colour particularly on these 2 pictures (warning large file):
Nikon D90
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD90/Samples/Comparedto/Studio/NikonD90_ISO200_ACR.JPG
Canon 50D
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS50D/Samples/Comparedto/Studio/50D_ISO100_acr2.jpg

If you open both file side by side and at 100%, you will find that the edge of the colour chart from Canon is a bit blurry and the colour is not as shape as the D90.

I also found this problem on my G10 when Canon try to cramp many data onto little sensor, they do make all the data on paper work looks good but they really forget about the quality and colouration from the picture which i think i would concern more nowadays. Although colouration i can actually adjust it on PS applications but why would i spend so much time to adjust every picture?

So with all these minor factors, i decided to use Nikon D90 over Canon 50D. I hope my decision is correct thou.

Lastly, i know a few reefers who use Nikon and take awesome pictures, here is one of them:
http://www.ultimatereef.com/TOTM/2009_june/

Cheers,
Adrian

Having said that, both camera are good and it was very tough call. perhaps i'm just too fussy? i should get the D3x or 1Dmark3 :lol:

Anything in the Nikon D line is good enough for people and fish pics, I'd see what deal you can get on a D-80 first; unless you want the video feature...than the 90 is the way to go..

D90 is by far superior to the D80 in many many ways as a matter of fact it makes the D80 obsolete "not saying the D80 is bad" just way inferior compared to the D90. The D90 is basically a D300 in a smaller package with a bit up to date features. Great decision! I wish I bought the D90 over my Canon Rebel XSI.

Back