Canon RebelXT learning curve

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
Well Santa brought me a Canon Rebel XT for Christmas!:D Finally a sensible camera that I can eventually learn how to get great shots with. So far, I only have the 18-55mm lens for it (which came with it) but will order a macro lens very soon. I'm almost finished reading through the tutorial on Canon's website that Brian (Mungus) said I should check out which is a great help! Thanks Brian:) I've also been scanning through the manual as well and I'm slowly learning. Once I grasp the knowledge I need to make the right camera selections for photos, then I'll learn how to use the program to pretty up the pics (either Photoshop like everyone uses or Photo Studio that is similar and came with the camera).

So...Here's what I have so far. No photshop here. I just shot the photos, uploaded them and used the program for the camera to clean it up a tad bit which is very limited. In any event, I'm liking the camera so far. I'm sure I will look back at these pics in a few months and laugh, but it willbe great for me to see my progress:)

Here's my wife's cousin's camera I took a pic of with my camera which is the exact same camera I have.

My aquapod

Here are the last few of my sargent majors a little smaller than a US quarter. Like I said...A lot to learn, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually:)

The thing I found with this camera is you always think there is a better shot out there, sometimes I find myself sitting back and just saying whoa.

How big of a memory card did you get?

Wow looks like you got the hang of that camera quick. I like the photos man they are very clear. I also like the aquapod!! I am glad santa came as promised.

LOL! Thanks!:) The shots are a bit more accurate than my other camera without even knowing how to use it, but with practice and learning and a macro lens, I should get great clarity. I messed around with some shots outside and they came out unbelievable well, but the room my tank is in, is very dimly lit so pics are a bit harder to shoot there which I will learn how to adjust for. As for the aquapod, renovations start hopefully later this week!!! I'm starting with a new stand for it;)

The thing I found with this camera is you always think there is a better shot out there, sometimes I find myself sitting back and just saying whoa.

How big of a memory card did you get?

Yeah...When you look at Sherman's photos or some of the others, you know you've got work to do:rolleyes: (LOL) As for the memory card, I got the 2 gig. I never store pics so a lot of memory doesn't matter as much to me unless I go away for a week or so and can't upload them to the computer. Once I take photos, I upload them to the computer and format the card right afterwards. OCD thing I guess:p

Yeah...When you look at Sherman's photos or some of the others, you know you've got work to do:rolleyes: (LOL) As for the memory card, I got the 2 gig. I never store pics so a lot of memory doesn't matter as much to me unless I go away for a week or so and can't upload them to the computer. Once I take photos, I upload them to the computer and format the card right afterwards. OCD thing I guess:p
Sherman will admit that he uses photoshop to dress them up a bit, but it is my feeling his regular photos are better than my photoshopped ones.:D :D I personally wish I had more time to use the camera!!!!!!

Yeah...I only use the custom modes for the tank. The "TV" mode is supposed to be good for moving objects which was how I was able to catch those pics of the fish swimming. I like the Program mode as well, but after each shot, you have to re-adjust your settings again, but I'm trying them all anyways:)

Sherman will admit that he uses photoshop to dress them up a bit, but it is my feeling his regular photos are better than my photoshopped ones. I personally wish I had more time to use the camera!!!!!!

LOL!! Yep! His raw images are probably something I'd be proud of, but with time you learn I guess. I'm in the same boat as you with getting time to learn the camera as Emily keeps me busy enough, but in due time I guess:)

Well, if I don't get the hang by October, then I'll let Sherman teach me a few things as he is coming to the Bahamas then:D

LOL! He may not want to leave:p

Well, I'll try some more pics tomorrow if I get a chance. I may even hit some tidepools and try my luck there with some pics as well seeing I'm off till the New year:)

Hope you don't mind Krish, did a little PS on this pic

2lu3.jpg

WoW! That's really cool Jorge! The program I have does all that same cool stuff to remove particles in the water and on the glass etc, but I haven't had the time to dig in. That came out really nice:)

Back