Canon RebelXT learning curve

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

WoW! That's really cool Jorge! The program I have does all that same cool stuff to remove particles in the water and on the glass etc, but I haven't had the time to dig in. That came out really nice:)
when you do tank shots a guy in our club recommends turning off all the pumps and let it sit for 10 minutes. That way you dont need to PS the particulate out of the picture...

Just tryin to help. Great shots ! ...ohhh and santa (aka ups man) will deliver my new camera on thursday. Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-50S. I'm stoked! keep up the good work Krish

Let me know if you have any specific questions about that camera, I have quite a bit of experience with mine. You should be able to get some good shots with the kit lens but you will be amazed by a good macro. Do you have a tripod yet? My first two recommendations would be a tripod (even a cheap one is better than nothing) and a remote shutter release ($15 on ebay).

I have the 20D which is the big brother of the rebel. I concur you will want to use a tripod so you can eliminate 'camera shake' of hand holding. You also need to pay attention to your depth of field. You compromise shutter speed with greater depth of field but you will normally get a sharper picture by not shooting 'wide open' (f stop).

I just got the Canon 100mm macro for xmas (yahoo!!!) but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Lenses are normally sharper (their sweet spot) is usually around f8... if you can stand stopping down that far!

I agree with blazer. A tripod is a must for those macro shots and night shots that require slow shutter speeds. Otherwise, your pics can be out of focus.

You can also shoot with higher ISOs and then use a noise reduction program such as Neat Image (what I use) and then sharpen your pics using the program that came with your camera, DPP (at least it came with mine) or photoshop, etc.

I agree with stopping down the lens, but not all the way that some do. I've always been told the "sweet spot" is near mid aperture.

I generally break down photographing tanks into either corals or fish. Corals are shot in aperture priority, ISO 100, with a tripod and remote shutter, mid aperture, and slow shutter. Fish are shot in shutter priority ("freezing" motion is more important than DOF), ISO 800, and are hand-held without a tripod.

Then there is post processing which some overlook. That can take an average picture and turn it into something great.

I have had the Cannon Rebel XT for a couple years now... actually have 1 at work and 1 at home. Great camera! I love it. You can go online and find deals on old cannon optics that are still compatable with it.

They look good krish! Deffinently a learning process, out of the 20 pics i have posted, there were probably 500 that i took:p. Good luck with it man and i am sure that your shots will look professional in no time.

-augustus

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!:) I shot my fish pictures in the shutter priority mode (TV) and that worked great! I tried the Aperature priority mode (AV) for my zoanthids, but couldn't get the color right. I'm sure if I messed with it a bit more I could have gotten it, but I was rushing to go out. Hopefully over the next few days I will get some more time with the camera. Thanks again for all of the tips! I'll let you guys know how it goes:)

Must be the year of the digi-SLRs. :)

My Nikon D80 in on its way. :D

Hey Krish nice to see you got your camera!! I'm glad those tutorials helped you also. I know for me they were a great help. I had no idea where to even start since it was my first SLR. The Pod looks great!!! Keep the pictures coming.

Brian

Looking good Krish, In no time you will be blowing us away with pics:D
Get you an underwater kits to shoo some reef pics Dood:)

LOL! Soon Scooty! I gotta learn how to take pictures on land first before I get in the water. You can't be fiddling with the camera trying to find the right setting with sharks around you:p

when did eating chicken have anything to do with taking photographs??

:D :D :D

(this is a sarcastic reply)

Back