Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Everything is looking great Carlos. As for the silicone, I believe that as long as it doesnt have the mold inhibitor in it, it should be fine. I used the stuff sold by AGA as I'm positive that it can be used.

HTH

Can't say for sure Carlos on the silicone as I've never seen that happen before...Hopefully someone else will chime in or I'd probably just start a new thread dedicated to that specific question so you could get more views and feedback:)

It doesn't say anything about Mold Inhibitor so I guess it doesn't have it.

Maybe it's a reaction since I had to put some extra silicone a couple of days later because I found out a couple of places that weren't well sealed.

Last edited:
2 weeks running now...

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 4.0
Nitrate 100
pH 8.0
Salinity 1028
PPT 38
Temp 79 F

The only change I noticed was in my salinity, should I just try to add some fresh water to lower it down a little? I still don't get why my ammonia levels aren't going crazy.

000xt0.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight I noticed that my live rock is starting to get covered with some kind of gold algae. I took some pictures but they didn't come up right because of the lighting. There is also a lot of purple points all over the rock. Is the gold thing normal?

Last edited:
The "gold thing" you are seeing Carlos is probably diatoms which is normal. We all experience it at one point or the other when cycling and eventually will go away as the tank matures and stabilizes. It feeds off of excess nutrients in the water (phosphates, nitrates etc) so once they get under control, it will start to dissapate. Water changes help as well as it will dilute the the levels some, but seeing the tank is just setup and going through the cycle, just let it ride for now:)

Glad to know the "gold thing" is not something bad. As per Krish suggestion I replaced 3 gallons with fresh water and I got my salinity back to 1.026.

Is it normal that my ammonia levels are still so low?

By the way, thanks for the compliment Gaby :)

Last edited:
Today I drilled a small hole in one of my return elbows and I ended up creating a small fountain with it which I had to patch since it would be kind of hard to replace the elbow with water in the tank. I think the reason why it did not work was because the water level in the overflow is higher than the elbow so I was wondering if one of those coffee stirrer tubes inserted in the hole that I drilled would fix it.

Here's a new picture that I took this afternoon. Diatoms are taking over the tank, not very pleased with that...

ssrl7.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah...Diatoms will make you want to leave the hobby sometimes but trust me you don't have it all that bad...I've seen and had worse!:eek: If you want something to help keep the diatoms down a bit for you they have snails that will make quick work of it for you. It won't "solve" the problem as maturity only will as the levels in your tank balance out, but it will atleast make the tank more pleasureable for you to view in the meantime. I'd just wait until your ammonia and nitrite drop off to add some in there and they should help clean it up a bit:)

As for the hole, I'd personally probably just drop the water level right below it and put some quick drying epoxy or something over it to patch the hole. You won't need much at all. I had to do that before on my sea-swirl. Plug a hole with a 2 part epoxy that dried fast and it worked great! Just a thought...Good luck and despite the diatoms, the tank looks great:)

Try a dam of PVC glue but dab a tile purple carefully first. It will stop up LOL
Let that tank cycle man, it will get better, when you get fish & stuff in it later it will get better. You really don't need the Loc-line that far out from what I see, You could remove a few joints in each & still direct flow well but that is just a personal thing no biggie:D

You call that diatoms!!! Man you are doing great. Nows the time to get a clean up crew.

Wow if mine is doing great I don't want to see a bad case of diatoms. About cleaning crews, I plan to wait a little more to get it but I would like to know what exactly should I get a what's the best place to buy it from?

I stopped by my LFS Today and they have some really nice Tonga branches that I liked so I was wondering if I would be a good idea to get a few for my tank? Right now I have 90 lbs of Fiji Premium. What do you guys think?

Wow if mine is doing great I don't want to see a bad case of diatoms. About cleaning crews, I plan to wait a little more to get it but I would like to know what exactly should I get a what's the best place to buy it from?

Yeah...If using any cleanup crews IMO, it's always best to wait after the tank has cycled. Where to get them, couldn't say. I got mine from the beach :oops:

I stopped by my LFS Today and they have some really nice Tonga branches that I liked so I was wondering if I would be a good idea to get a few for my tank? Right now I have 90 lbs of Fiji Premium. What do you guys think?

Depends on how much rock you want. As it stands, your tank looks like it has enough rock to give you good filtration and also still some nice swimming room. It's totally up to you, but if are planning on getting any, I'd get it now while the tank is cycling (if you want it to cure/cycle with the other rock)otherwise you'll have to cure it in a seperate container later so as to not start another cycle in your tank. Best to do all the rock one time so as to not prolong things:)

Wow if mine is doing great I don't want to see a bad case of diatoms

yeah you don't wanna know...to me that's really clean just like when Krish had his tank running :p:D.

Where to get them, couldn't say. I got mine from the beach

pfff show off .... and then you put that innocent face :p:lol: :lol: .
I agree you got plenty of rocks right there dood.

Back