Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hammer, frog spawn, or candy caine are some good starters, can they affect other corals surprisingly yes but If you keep them out of reach you can do it, even with certain softies but study them first, learn what characteristics they have, what they need & how they affect near by corals or do they release toxins to other corals. Naturally these don't all grow together, you can only do so much in a glass box. I know you can find several tanks with a verity to corals mixed in any way but try to get the long term affects of those very same tanks & honestly see how they fair over time. Also look at your long term goal, sps!

I just updated the threat about my Clowns. They are doing great now and hopefully they will be back in the main tank in a few weeks.

Today I was thinking about what fishs to get next and since I could not decide on which one to get first I was wondering if I could quarantine 2 at a time. The ones that I'm considering now are the Purple Firefish, The Banggai Cardinal and the Royal Gramma.

What do you guys think?

I don't see a problem with those Carlos, be careful on what you’re planning to do though. This is a 60g tank, you can keep these fish together & maybe more but you will have to up your husbandry for each fish added, if you want to keep sps you will need to stay on top of your cleanings to keep your water quality up. Now said that you have selected all reasonably smaller species which is good but think about what other fish you would like & see if you will have room for that also. One good fish I had was a wrasse, some are jumpers but they are good fish to keep. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks for your response Scooty. I always liked the small fishes so I think I am going to stick with them. I like the fact that I can have more variety in the tank. Pretty much the only bigger fish that I might get would be a Yellow Tang.

Also I would love to have a fish that would keep the sand clean without making a mess and digging holes in it. I read that a Diamond Goby might be a good candidate.

Besides the Anthias are there any other fishes that would get along with the ones that I plan to get that are not too big? I'm really trying to focus in reef safe fishes that are non-aggresive and won't bother my corals.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the jawfish bother my Purple Firefish since they are both Gobies?

I like the idea of getting a wrass, which one in particular would you suggest?

there's a lot of pretty wrasses that you might like :D .

i love the carpenter flasher wrasse :D and i hope someday to get one hehe.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=329

now i love this one but they're a little bit pricey and they are more for the bigger tanks like yours :D .

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1765

Wow I'm loving the carpenter flasher wrasse, what a beautiful fish. Added to my list, thanks for the suggestion. :D

Wrasses are great reef fish; did you know that there are one of the most fish with different species?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I decided to start with some zoos so I will need to start taking care of my Calcium and Alk. I will be ordering the test kits for Calcium, Alk, Phosphates and Magnesium this week. Is there any other that I might need?

Any advice on how to do this?

do you have an ammonia one? you never know when you're gonna need that one :p .
zoos are a good start, you don't have to have your Cal and Alk taken care of ... that's more for the sps so don't worry to much about having to deal with Cal and Alk yet ;) :D

Check out my new Koralia powerheads, they put a lot more flow in the tank. Right now I have about 1800 gph in it.

I took a picture of the tank Tonight. Still not much to watch...

newsl1.jpg

Thanks for your kind words Krish. I'm going to get a Cleaner and a Fire shrimp this week. I heard it is best to introduce them both at the same time. Last week I got my Sally Lightfood crab and my Coral Banded Shrimp out of the tank, I am still trying to catch my Emerald crabs.

Last edited:
Nice looking tank Carlos.. Looks like your taking your time on this. Since I seem to remember it's been a while since you first started the setup..

Back