Carpet tank build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NemCrazy

Catalina goby
So I have all this stuff laying around from trades and bargain buys. And after having steal on a 250w mh and some T5HO actinics. I figured I would build a species specific tank for carpets. I traded my old carpet tank for a lobster tank. And really miss having that tank. But this this time I'm taking it a step further. I want to connect this tank to my super stable BTA tank and upgrade the sump. I want to make this tank all about a Haddoni, Ritteri, or a Gigantea with a pair of clowns that don't look like Nemo. I have tons of live rock in my sump already. I used them instead of bioballs in my wet/dry filter. But that will be moved into the sump (a 30 gallon acrylic tank) and display tank. I have 23lbs of dead rock hanging out for the last two weeks in a tub where I have been dosing with beneficial bacteria. I'm looking for feedback. I'm hoping linking my bta tank at somepoint will help break in the new tank. I won't link for a month or so. I have most of what I need other than salt water I've used water from my bta tank's water changes so far. This build is budget minded and is tarting with what I have laying around. First I will start cycling the tank and then building the sump.
Today I moved all of the livestock out of my 45 Coldwater reef into my 20 gallon Coldwater nano and cleaned both. I have 55 pounds of Tahitian black reef sand and that's going in tonight. Just to sit and tomorrow it's water change time and 20 gallons plus the dead rock and some from the sump will be put in the tank. So it can get started:)

What is the foot print of the new tank? Will the single MH be enough to light the whole thing? Is the T-5 ballast big enough to supplement the MH? Do you have enough power heads for flow?

The footprint of the tank is 36"x12" so with a single 250w mh at the edges I imagine the par value won't be as good but I have 2 T5 actinics that will supplement with 54watts a piece. And really any coral in here will be an afterthought. So I'm thinking it will be good enough for nems that will place themselves right under the light. But please let me let me know if it won't. I have a tunze turbelle pump at 550 gph and two zoomedic sweeper pumps 300gph a piece and a maxi jet 1200. I don't think I will need all that. But if I get a magnifica I may need all of it. I poured in the sand at 2am last night and it looks good. At 4" deep its a suitable depth for haddoni.

Here is a pic of of how it's set in the room. The sump will be placed in the 3'x4' space behind the tanks.
IMG_0971_zps46ee46db.jpg

And one with sand
IMG_7043_zps404c60a3.jpg

Well I put in 20 gallons plus 20lbs of liverock rubble. This shows the light spread of both systems and how the bowfront helps spread the light at the end of the tank. Tonight I will put in ten more gallons and mix more for a water change in the bow so the dt water goes into my new tank. To help match parameters and bb. I'm dosing microbacter7 daily and some API bb. Every other day.
IMG_1801_zpsc39264c6.jpg

Last edited:
After 3 weeks of live rock, benefical bacteria, water and micobacter7 I decided to test and only found trace ammonia 0 nitrite and trace nitrates. API test kit. I added a chunk of live rock from the bta tank. That had green sponge, feather dusters, and coraline. I should have been testing to see if I had already spiked in ammonia and nitrite but I will check again in a couple days. I'll add some mysis tonight to see if that works. Stirs up some nitrates for me.

Well yesterday I tested again and got readings of trace ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. So I think it'll be ready for fish soon. I'm getting worried about the chance for aleopathy between the two systems. Even though my system is two run each return through carbon/ chemi pure. So I figured running both through the same sump initially then separating them when it's time to put in the nems. That way the new tank gets a boost for a bit. Because I have located two gigs that I want and of course I'm worried about that now. Well now it's time for a home depot trip to plan the new sump. It's 35 1/2" long x11 1/2" wide x 15 1/2" deep Interior dimensions. First chamber will be sock and coralife 125 protien skimmer. Second chamber will be live rock rubble and macros or I may just make a third chamber with macros only and then the return chamber. Anyway that's what I'm working on.

Wooohooo!! After almost one month the tests read ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrates 10. The cycle is done. Well at least this part of the cycle is done. Now it's time to get some stability. The yellowtail damsel looks happy and the small cuc is working diligently. I think it's gonna be time to add more cuc and a pair of pink skunks. I'm looking for an over flow to link the two systems at least initially to build stability before I place the carpets in the tank. And I need to build a canopy for the lights. Lots to do still:)

Hey thanks for the mini tour tonight. The Hammer has settled very well. Your tanks look great. The cold water was somthing to see!!

Wooohooo!! After almost one month the tests read ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrates 10. The cycle is done. Well at least this part of the cycle is done. Now it's time to get some stability. The yellowtail damsel looks happy and the small cuc is working diligently. I think it's gonna be time to add more cuc and a pair of pink skunks. I'm looking for an over flow to link the two systems at least initially to build stability before I place the carpets in the tank. And I need to build a canopy for the lights. Lots to do still:)

Now you just have all the algae cycle to go through.....Good times. Tanks are looking good.

Hey thanks Zach it was good showing them to you two. And I think you'll like that hammer. The two skunks have settled in nice and the clean up crew is taking on the diatoms as we speak. I've been wanting non Nemo clowns for some time and finally do:) I purchased the most gracefull skunk clowns I've seen yet. Very softly colored which will contrast well to the nems going in there. Today was the first day I felt like it was a tank and not a build:)
IMG_6595_zps00704c11.jpg

So I'm at the 7 week mark, well I'm just shy of it. And the tank is doing sweet. The nitrates are around 5 and the salinity is getting close to matching the other tank. I'm thinking of linking the two tanks for a week or two to beef up the carpet tanks biological filtration. Then my idea is to use the current sump setup on the carpet tank and drop in the carpets. And run the bta tank sumpless for a week or two until I finish the sump and hook it up. I'm still tempted to connect the the two tanks into the same sump but I'm not crazy about the risk. Oh and a couple pics:)
IMG_5677_zps12a0b222.jpg

IMG_8173_zps408ab99d.jpg

IMG_6887_zps31f5c83f.jpg

Last edited:
Just tested the water again since I am getting close to picking up the carpets and my nitrates are at 0!! woohoo! maybe next week or the week after and I will get er done!
IMG_9533_zps4ae6fe0b.jpg
[/IMG]

Those r monster nems. Seen em in person. Ur skunks r gonna look soooooo kool in those.
U going to the next psas thing?
I got another ques tion nem... yesterday instead of getting two mini maxis. I got one rock nem. Think if i hold the rock and part of the nem out and above the water surface...it would detach and try to fall back in? I dont like trying to force or work the foot up.
D

As nice as that picture is, those carpets are even more spectacular in person. Glad they will end up in a good home.

Heck yeah I'm going to the next Psas event! I've been wanting to go to OBD for a while now. As far as rock nems go I've never had one. But what I know about tropical nems is that they like water lol. I imagine they would release much like a bta eapecially if the foot is tickled a bit. I usually lift at the edges just a hair at a time and it seems to make them release when suspended over water and touching.
And those nems are crazy cool in person. That's a pic when he first got them in. Since then they have acclimated and I'm ready to pick em up. Just a few more things to do. Like connect the tanks(easiest) or new sump I just need acrylic baffles and live rock for that one.

Back