Carpet tank build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chris that's an excellent idea!! So a lil change in plans. I just hooked up the existing sump to the carpet tank. And I'll be picking up the nems tomorrow:D I really can't wait. Tonight I'll finalize the rockwork and make sure it's stable, change out media and all that.

Well They are in the tank!!! Thank you Chris they are stunning! I will take more pics as they relax and find their spots. But I know how everyone is so I sapped a couple right away. These are pics taken minutes after entry into the tank. They deflated a bit to acclimate I imagine. They are super sticky it took a couple minutes for them to release from me and I had to apply consistent pressure to do so. They have plenty of zooxanthella as evidenced by then brown disk and bright tentacles. I cant wait till they open back up! So here goes the adventure:rockon:
IMG_7048_zpsb801b38c.jpg
[/IMG]
Yes I know there is screen material. I have to wait for them to release from it I cut it back but kept getting grabbed so I figured it would stress the nems less if I just let them release on their own.
IMG_5850_zps87bc839b.jpg
MG]

Just a video show the flow and movement. the mouth is open on the blue a bit seems like its taking in water and returning to size. the skunks havent dove in ... yet. lol they are eyeballing the green pretty hard though:)
85vRUVbMCIA

Cool. I didn't think you could put nems in a brand new tank. I'd like to have a RBTA in my tank, what's the best time to do that?

Well I half the rock in the display cured for a year or so and I transferred the sump from my bta tank which has ran for over a year. I also have the outflow pouring into purigen. And I have a super low bio load. And I dose with microbactre7 and a nitrate reducer by instant ocean. So it will be a bit of maintenance. But the levels should be near zero pretty reliably. And that and if they wander it doesn't matter because they are they only things in the tank... I just saw the blue one hosting a skunk:peace:
IMG_5147_zps30edd0e8.jpg

Last edited:
And I would wait longer than that and not put in a bta for at least 3 but six would be safer. Nems basically want stablility. And once you can do that reliably it's time:)

I would actually say that anemone first is always the way to go. Because once they stay put they will generally stay in that spot or with btas, they may shift around. But if something changes like lighting, flow or parameters they may walk. I have one bta that roams the back wall. and the rest have barely moved.

And chris is the man! Thanks for these healthy beautiful gigs. They are truly amazing!
Seakingaquariums is a quality operation:)

Last edited:
And chris is the man! Thanks for these healthy beautiful gigs. They are truly amazing!
Seakingaquariums is a quality operation:)
I went by there when I was just thinking about getting a tank and he was very nice and helpful to a newbie. Good guy!

i have two gig anemones we had a long drive just getting there.

by haydyn pauls daughter

Lol that's funny she posted this as I was serving pizza. She says the blue one is hers:p

Last edited:
The view from my laptop:)
IMG_6012_zps65682d44.jpg
[/IMG]
Well I woke up to this seen:) the gigs have doubled in size and appear to be acclimating well. The skunks are having fun in their own slip and slides. lol
b7_POC0J8vo

Last edited:
So I've had the nems in the tank 4 days with few worries. My blue gig walked aroound a bit and went across most of the front of the rock and looks to have settled in the sand bed in the right corner of the tank. It shrinks to half its normal size at night Which got me nervous at first but its just what they do. The green is massive when its spreads out. it measures 16"-18" and shrinks to a foot or so. The pinks skunks spend most of their time carpet surfing:) So of course there are a few pics.
IMG_2418_zpsc735c877.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4169_zps5131ee03.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0272_zps6708b612.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_6462_zps4a791368.jpg
[/IMG]

Back