Chad's 125g reef project

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chadmace

Reef Tarded
Now that my tank is up and has some life in it I figured I would get some pictures posted, and the ball rolling on my tank thread. I purchased this tank from NC2WA not too long ago. So far all I have is some liverock and 5 Chromis....even though one is a wuss and never comes out of the rocks. (he is still alive, only comes out to eat every now and then) Anyways onto the pics.

This first pic is right after I filled the tank, the initial sand storm. Looks pretty cool:
milky.jpg

Next is a picture of the whole tank (obviously). This is my first jump into aquascaping. Overall I like what I have going on, I need a little more liverock, and I already see where I want to move a couple of rocks.
tank1.jpg

Left side cave:
tankL.jpg

Middle cave/ledge: (still needs some work but will do for now)
tankM.jpg

Right side: (the current hiding spot of my wussy Chromis...you can actually barely see him in there)
tankR.jpg

Angled shot of the tank.
tankshot.jpg

Well, thanks for looking. I look forward to providing you all with some better pictures once I add some more fish, corals, etc. :D

Last edited:
I like the rockscaping and the stand looks like it's a nice build & color too. What are you planning on keeping in it long term?

Long term I am thinking SPS, some softies, and maybe a Blue Linckia starfish. I know the main thing I want would be a Rose Bubble Anenome and 2 Black & White Percula Clowns. I am also kinda partial to Tangs. At the moment though I am in no hurry.

At the moment I have 2 250 Watt MH (ARO electronic ballasts), and 2 96 Watt PC Attinics. I am thinking about puting a 3rd 250 in the middle of the canopy. Its a dual over flow AGA aquarium, I made some Durso stand pipes to quiet the overflows. Mag 12 return, Aqua Medic Turbofloater 1000 Skimmer in a 29g Sump. I will be doing a little work on that coming up as I want to add in a refugium. I initially planned to use part of my sump for the fuge but there is too much flow running through there. I will have to plumb it in after the fact. Aside from that I am still reading up on all the other options for filtration and automation so I can better decide which way I would like to go. The biggest purchase I will be making coming up will be a chiller for the summer months.

Does look good.

I like the lighting :D

Is this Agramax (sugar sized sand)? If so, where did you purchased it from?

My sand is Seachem Meridian Tidal, I purchased it at petsmart.com for $16.99 per 20lb bag. Once you spend enough shipping is free, so overall it was a pretty good deal. Just make sure you rinse the stuff well there sure is alot of dust in it.

Got the whole set-up from NC2WA, not quite sure if he had that made custom or how he came upon it. It is nice though. I am not very fond of Oak but the dark stain makes it nice on the eyes.

Lavenderfish,

The stand and canopy were custom built from Oak and a Cherry Oak stain was used. It is a good sturdy stand. Chad's tank is in good hands. :D

Kirk

Gee Steven, Why would you ever want an update over a fish? Hmm....

Well, here are my latest additions. A Sailfin Tang formerly of Steven's tank.

Sailfin.jpg

And a Flame Angel I picked up at Barrier Reef.

Flame.jpg

Still deciding on what all I am going to put in there. This next weekend I plan to pick up a 20 tall and get a refugium going. Also need to get rid of a little Aptasia (sp?) that came with a large piece of Liverock I picked up last weekend. Still a little off until I feel brave enough for corals but we'll see.

Anthias???

Do share?

When my tank is ready, for the wife, I'm getting her a purple square anthias (male) and 3 females.

Back